none
"This is not a genuine copy of Windows" message after cloning HDD using Norton Ghost V15 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently cloned my Hard disk using Norton Ghost V15 because the root drive in the machine is nearly full and I wanted to go to a larger drive.  I did not experience any problems during the cloning process.  When I disconnected the old drive and attempted to boot the machine from the new drive, everything appeared to be fine until I got to the login screen.  I entered my password, and I saw the "Welcome" for just an instant.  The message then changed to "Preparing Desktop", and the machine sat on this screen for 3 to 4 minutes (I noted only occasional HDD activity).  Then the screen changed to a very pale blue color and the following appeared in the lower right corner of the screen.

Windows 7

Build 7601

This is not a genuine copy of Windows

At this point the only thing that I can do is a CTL-ALT-DEL, which gives me a few options like "Log off" "Switch User" "Cancel" "Task Manager", or I can use the small red button in the lower right to either Restart or Shut down the machine.  I have tried to boot the machine from the install DVD and run the Startup Repair - - no help.  I have tried to boot the machine up in "Safe Mode" but have not been successful.  If I reconnect the original drive, I am able to boot the machine with no problems (right now), which is good ,I guess but it does not solve my problem with the hard drive.

BTW - - I should mention that this IS a genuine copy of Win 7 ultimate!!  I have the packaging and the product code.  It seems that something with the licensing has gotten "mucked up"

Any Ideas?? 

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• "BigSound2" wrote in message news:0037bdfb-6bb7-41ee-9f1a-ae81ed6da021...

I recently cloned my Hard disk using Norton Ghost V15 because the root drive in the machine is nearly full and I wanted to go to a larger drive.  I did not experience any problems during the cloning process.  When I disconnected the old drive and attempted to boot the machine from the new drive, everything appeared to be fine until I got to the login screen.  I entered my password, and I saw the "Welcome" for just an instant.  The message then changed to "Preparing Desktop", and the machine sat on this screen for 3 to 4 minutes (I noted only occasional HDD activity).  Then the screen changed to a very pale blue color and the following appeared in the lower right corner of the screen.

Windows 7

Build 7601

This is not a genuine copy of Windows

At this point the only thing that I can do is a CTL-ALT-DEL, which gives me a few options like "Log off" "Switch User" "Cancel" "Task Manager", or I can use the small red button in the lower right to either Restart or Shut down the machine.  I have tried to boot the machine from the install DVD and run the Startup Repair - - no help.  I have tried to boot the machine up in "Safe Mode" but have not been successful.  If I reconnect the original drive, I am able to boot the machine with no problems (right now), which is good ,I guess but it does not solve my problem with the hard drive.

BTW - - I should mention that this IS a genuine copy of Win 7 ultimate!!  I have the packaging and the product code.  It seems that something with the licensing has gotten "mucked up"

Any Ideas??

This is a common problem with Ghosted images if the proper partitioning is not retained on the new disk.
    The chances are that you have a hidden partition on the old disk which is not reproduced on the new one – and that is upsetting the Windows boot manager.
    Check the two disks using a partition manager (or at least make sure that you have imaged all partitions on the old disk, and restore then in partition order)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Noel,

On the original drive there is a VERY small amount that showed as"Unallocated".  I can tell you that i did not clone this as I thought that "unallocated" meant that it was not in use.

I will re-format my new drive and and try it again but bring the entire "old drive" over.

Thanks

Russ

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:49 PM
  • You may find that you'll get a better result using an offline cloning tool (personally I hate Ghost, or anything else out of that stable), than an in-Windows tool. Ghosted images often complain about being non-genuine.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/norton-ghost-hd-image-not-booting-correctly/e4a0fc5e-2d56-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

may give you some help

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Three years later, and I've suffered at the same problem.

Cloned my HD to an SSD using Norton Ghost, put the SSD in my laptop, booted up, and had the Windows 7 "This is not a genuine copy of Windows" message.  No start button available to click on, just that message.

The solution is in the third suggestion on this Microsoft page:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/blue-screen-this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine/1d8dfdad-2ea4-43be-a049-360429cc2d57

In a nutshell, you have to:

• boot into Safe Mode
      (note: you'll see Safe Mode in the four corners of the screen, but still no Start button)
    • CTRL+ALT+DELETE and click on Task Manager
    • Click on the Applications tab, then the "New Task.." button and run "regedit"
    • Now just swap around the "DosDevices" registry settings described on the Microsoft link above.

Basically, Norton Ghost had set my new SSD as being an E: drive, but Windows was expecting to find itself on the C: drive, so it did the graceful thing, and just locked me out completely and called me a pirate.   

After renaming the registry entries, I could reboot, and it all worked okay again.

• Edited by Mike Gledhill Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Doc Rings Monday, April 13, 2015 3:19 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Thank you. ..this REGEDIT fix worked for me after a botched Norton Ghost image of my SSD, which was now inexplicably drive G:, so Win7 wouldn't boot properly.   I got the "Windows is not genuine" error, but the renaming of the Dosdevices worked great! 
    Monday, April 13, 2015 3:22 AM