off topic - Infected but OneCare Safety Scan does NOT recognize?? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi All,

This is a machine passed to me because no one can figure out what is wrong. 

Here is the issue:

The computer is being redirected anytime you go to certain sites.  It will NOT go to any sysmantec, Trend Micro, MS Update (any antivirus developer site).  No anti virus programs can be installed successfully and it shuts off all Live update type programs.  Any search from any search engine that has the types of names above will be redirected endlessly to ads etc... 

The one care online "full scan" was used (by my recommendation) and found a Trojan:Win32.Vundo virus and another file (br586.exe) that it said it could not remove and he manually removed the file.  One Care is being ran in safe mode with system restore off and it says no virus are found?

It found 56 reg entries and says it removed them all?

I know the system is still infected with some thing becasue the IE7 SP2 browser still does not work correctly.  Norton does not work, IE Trust doers not work... hhhmmmm

I have looked over all add ons and nothing is out of the ordinary.

How do I clean / fix this?? 

Any and all suggstion are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TimT

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:05 AM

All replies

• Most antivirus products won't install correctly,if at all, on an infected computer. You can try this - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-vundo-virtumonde  but the best solution ( and perhaps the fastest ) might be to back up your data, format the drive, and reinstall Windows.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:33 PM
  • OK... this is where this is...

Went to the recommended site above and ran both apps and neither find the issue I am having.

So... what this monster is doing is:
    Cannot view C: drive from My Computer, nust use Explorer
    File date is modified. Displays as: mm/23/08
    Only the Settings tab is viewable from the Desktop Properties window.  You can not see Screen Saver, Advanced etc.. all missing?
    Can not download any pdf files from irs.gov site - Page Not found Error
    Stopping all update services relating to anything?
    Redirecting all attempts to Microsoft, Symantec, Trend Micro, CA... any antivirus/spyware/malware sites... Except OneCare Online... I can get to the site and run a full scan.  It finds nothing.  All other online scanners will NOT load.
    Will redirect endlessly to ad pages searching from any search engine.  Search runs correctly but all url's are redirected?

Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:36 PM
  • hello smokie i`m having similar problems after installing Ie 8.1 beta afew weeks ago i cannot get any IE versions to work i have to use mozzila to brows that will only work if i install incredimail(don`t Know why) onecare does not find any problems
    i can no longer get trend micro to scan.

my firewall reports kek.exe is trying to accsess the internet i`ve blocked it and two other exe files mpt.exe and mpxa.exe
    under thease conditions my machine is useable to a degree

looking on the internet for kek.exe i`ve found some reports of it as being virus or trojan (that appeared 2 august) its nasty its causing me lots of promblems and i dar`nt switch off my machine or try anything else at the momment

after trying to reinstall IE 8.1 i had  problems trying to get the machine to reboot this morning had to cold boot then last known configuration finnaly got me up again NOT switching off untill microsoft resolve this

best of luck i`m lost for anymore ideas
    Monday, August 25, 2008 11:02 AM
  • If  you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

The OneCare Safety Scanner forums: 

http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/board.aspx?BoardID=225

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:15 PM