Backup fails, RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to start a backup on my Windows XP Media Center Edition machine, I get the backup is starting notification, but then it says c: IDLE and then it says the backup has failed, please run chdsk /f /r ...  What does this mean and how do I get my machine to backup again.  It hasn't backed up in 17 days and was working for over 3 months with no issues.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software.   I have run chdsk on the 3 drives connected to that computer, 1 internal, 2 external.  I have run defragmenter on all drives also.  I have also made sure that I was on the updated version of the connector software.  After several restarts of the XP machine and the home server, I'm lost.  What do I do now? 

Support Cab number 613743062
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:11 AM

Answers

• The URL Lara posted for Connect was wrong: it should be this:

http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver

If (as I suspect) you didn't do so, please follow that link, register on Connect if needed and join the Windows Home Server program there, and submit a bug report. Include those CAB #s in that bug report, rather than here.

Thanks!
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:38 AM

All replies

• When I try to start a backup on my Windows XP Media Center Edition machine, I get the backup is starting notification, but then it says c: IDLE and then it says the backup has failed, please run chdsk /f /r ...  What does this mean and how do I get my machine to backup again.  It hasn't backed up in 17 days and was working for over 3 months with no issues.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software.   I have run chdsk on the 3 drives connected to that computer, 1 internal, 2 external.  I have run defragmenter on all drives also.  I have also made sure that I was on the updated version of the connector software.  After several restarts of the XP machine and the home server, I'm lost.  What do I do now? 

Support Cab number 613743062

Hi,

When you say the clients are updated, have you updated the server to Power Pack 2? Can you post the all version numbers found in the Windows Home Server console under settings>resources?

Also, have you had a chance to run chkdsk /r on the drives on the server?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:34 AM
  • It reads Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2

Windows Home Server Console 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup and Restore 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager 6.0.2030.0

I have not run chdsk on the server's drives because the error instructs me to run chdsk on the client computer's hard drives.  And, the server backups 4 other computers in my home daily with absolutely no problems.  When I say the clients are updated, I mean they have the latest connector software, which was updated recently. 
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:16 PM
  • It reads Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2

Windows Home Server Console 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup and Restore 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager 6.0.2030.0

I have not run chdsk on the server's drives because the error instructs me to run chdsk on the client computer's hard drives.  And, the server backups 4 other computers in my home daily with absolutely no problems.  When I say the clients are updated, I mean they have the latest connector software, which was updated recently. 

When you ran chkdsk /r /f on the disks on the client, did it indicate that it repaired anything? Do the event logs on the client show any indications that there are problems with the drive or the controller? What about the event logs on the server? (accessible via the toolkit in the Windows Home Server console). When you are prompted to run chkdsk with /r /f, these parameters are for repairing problems with the disk.
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:33 PM
  • After running chdsk, there were no erros and no repairs to any of the disks on the XP machine. How do I find the client event logs?
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:38 PM
  • I see a lot of "270" event ID's in the home server logs, with abort message from the XP machine, with "Reason 6."  Presumably, this is when I'm trying to backup the client and I get the "c:IDLE" message when it fails.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Oh I found the client event log

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: HomeBackup
    Event ID: 770
    Date:  4/4/2009
    Time:  3:44:58 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: OFFI-52DD825207
    Description:
    Backup set 243 on MEDIASERVERJFG failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.NtfsReaderException: Bytes per Sector in Boot Block (0) doesn't match disk (512)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Oh I found the client event log

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: HomeBackup
    Event ID: 770
    Date:  4/4/2009
    Time:  3:44:58 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: OFFI-52DD825207
    Description:
    Backup set 243 on MEDIASERVERJFG failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.NtfsReaderException: Bytes per Sector in Boot Block (0) doesn't match disk (512)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Hi,

I've sent mail to the backup developers for you.  It is the weekend, so I might not hear back right away. As soon as I do, I'll let you know. 

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 9:12 PM
  • I've head back from the developers. We have only had one other case of this before and we were never able to resolve it. We would like to have you run a tool but in order for me to provide it to you, I need you to submit a bug on Connect. When you submit the bug, please provide client and server CABs.  We also need to know what 3rd party applications you have installed especially any disk or file system extensions.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:02 PM
  • I have many 3rd party music/audio programs installed including Cubase 4, and dbpoweramp.  Also, I have malware bytes anti-malware and ad aware installed including virtual cd 9.  Removing these programs via the windows task manager has resulted in the same results, however.  I submitted the report to connect with the following cab numbers: 

client CAB 615515164
    WHS CAB 615519370

Monday, April 6, 2009 11:47 PM

If (as I suspect) you didn't do so, please follow that link, register on Connect if needed and join the Windows Home Server program there, and submit a bug report. Include those CAB #s in that bug report, rather than here.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:38 AM

Thanks!

Thanks Ken. I must have clipped it when I did my cut and paste.
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:50 AM
  • I found my way aruond and submitted it correctly previously.  Thanks anyway for the link...
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:26 AM
  • IS there any way to get the tool that you spoke of that may help with this issue?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:20 AM
  • IS there any way to get the tool that you spoke of that may help with this issue?
    Microsoft will contact you via Connect if it looks like your issue would benefit from running the tool Lara mentioned.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Hello,

Was this resolved?  I have pretty much the same situation:  flawless backups for months on this computer and suddenly no backups can be complete.  Other computers on same WHS are backing up with no problem.  Ran several chkdsk /f/r/ per instruction set from failed backups.  Event viewer indicating no problem with disks.  3 other disk checking apps say disk is OK.  I am getting the same error Backup on +++ failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.NtfsReaderException: Bytes per Sector in Boot Block (0) doesn't match disk (512)    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)

I've gone so far as to remove the computer (and all the backups) from WHS, cleaning the WHS backup db and repairing it before reinstalling the offending computer.  Same exact response.  I've read a few other places on the web where folks are having this same thing happen.

What is the fix?  Do I have to put in a whole new hard drive just to get the WHS service working again?  Great program but when something like this occurs it eats up days of time and there seems not to be many answers out there.  BTW, I did removed the client computer (which of course erased its backups), did the registery clean and repair at your advice to another reader of this list.

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Hello,

Was this resolved and if so what was the resolution?  It looks like I'm having the same issue.  A client computer that WHS has backed up flawlessly for months that has suddenly stopped backing up.  Message from event viewer is: Backup set 2 on +++ failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.NtfsReaderException: Bytes per Sector in Boot Block (0) doesn't match disk (512)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)....

I've performed several chkdsk /f/r with no differing results.  I've gone so far as to uninstall the computer from the WHS group (of course losing all my backups in the process), cleaning the WHS db and repairing it before reinstalling the connector...same results.  I've run three different Hard Drive SMART apps against my hard drive...all say the drive is OK.  Three other computers being backed up by WHS are still being backed up with no problem.

In googling this issue I'm seeing several other folks coming up with the same problem...is there a solution short of installing a new drive in my computer...or will that even work?

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:22 AM
  • Have you recently installed or uninstalled anything on the computer in question?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Not at the time this started...24 days ago now.

Since sending the message to this group last night I cloned my drive to a brand new one, installed it, deleted the computer (again) from the WHS group; cleaned and repaired the WHS database.  When I rejoined the WHS with the computer with the new hard drive and attempt to perform a backup I GET THE SAME EXACT RESPONSE I wrote of above...can't read or write to C: and with an explanation in the viewer log of a mismatch between bytes in the boot record.  What this essentially is saying is IF I had a hard drive failure and replaced it with a new drive the WHS would be unable to restore my files to it anyway.

How/who do I take this to to get it addressed?  In the meantime, guess I'll revert to the old manual backup my file method.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:08 PM