[CRM 4.0 Roll.5] Migration to a different Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone!

My company needs to export several companies ("accounts" in CRM) and all their Contacts, Activities, Leads, Opportunities to another New CRM Server with a different Active Directory Domain.
    So it seems quite a simple task exporting few accounts and contacts to a new CRM Server but actually there is nothing to do that in CRM :(
    • MS CRM Data Migration Manager can't do the job...
    • All the external tools I tried are not reliable ("Bulk data export tool" & "MS CRM Import tool")
    • I already created import class thanks to CRM SDK but I don't really have enough time to right a tool to achieve that export.
    I can see 2 ways of doing this export / import:

1) Exporting the SQL DB to the new server + deleting not needed accounts
    2) Exporting data thanks to a SQL query and using the CRM DMM

What is the most effective way to achieve that?

Please let me know what you think...
    MS CRM 4.0, VS 2008
    • Edited by AdrianGeorge Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:01 AM title
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:59 AM

Answers

• I would opt for number 1.  Install CRM 4.0 on a server in the new domain.  Restore the current <OrgName>_MSCRM database to the new CRM server and import the organization with Deployment Manager.  That will get you a duplicate of your current CRM in the new domain.  You can then go in and delete the Accounts you don't need.
    The delete process may take a while but if you can identify the accounts you want to keep, create an Advanced Find and exclude those accounts you wish to keep.  Start deleting the accounts you don't want.  Check in your CRM Options that you are displaying 250 records per page to facilitate the deletion of many accounts.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Please mark this response as helpful or as the solution if you feel it was helpful.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:06 PM

All replies

• I would opt for number 1.  Install CRM 4.0 on a server in the new domain.  Restore the current <OrgName>_MSCRM database to the new CRM server and import the organization with Deployment Manager.  That will get you a duplicate of your current CRM in the new domain.  You can then go in and delete the Accounts you don't need.
    The delete process may take a while but if you can identify the accounts you want to keep, create an Advanced Find and exclude those accounts you wish to keep.  Start deleting the accounts you don't want.  Check in your CRM Options that you are displaying 250 records per page to facilitate the deletion of many accounts.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Please mark this response as helpful or as the solution if you feel it was helpful.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Mark!

I don't know why the topic has been set to "Answered" by Donna because I was expecting other advice...

Anyway I finally opted for option 2 as my company's CRM DB is quite big so I prefered starting over from a brand new DB.

I used the CRM Data Migration Manager to import CSV files (previously exported thanks to SQL queries) on the new CRM server.
    The longest step was the mapping between CRM and my CSV files. Indeed all my entities have been modified and some have 300+ attributes...

I am still importing data so I don't still don't know if everything will work properly.

Maybe someone will have to export CRM Data so I'll let you know when I am done.

MS CRM 4.0, VS 2008
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:55 PM