Activation keeps on sending me to get windows live. RRS feed

• Question

• Eventhough I did what Steve recommended, I am still being redirected to get subscription in window live.  This happens when I try to activate or subscribe my purchased OneCare.  I am subscribed to windows live and have my operable password. Please help!!! The 15 days are going to pass and I canot activate the product.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 3:10 AM

Answers

•  ORDENDIVINO wrote:
    I did it and it did not solve the problem. This is frustrating. As it approach the deadline of 15 days I will have to consider purchasing another software, since I cannot leave my PC without protection!!!

I will alert Microsoft to this problem via the OneCare team, but if you would contact support by email to report the same thing, hopefully it can be resolved quickly.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, January 7, 2008 3:55 PM

All replies

• HI: Im having exactly the same problem than yours. Please let me know if this thing have a way to be solved.

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Microsoft Can You help???   This is a product legally bought and cannot be used. I cannot even get online help because that system does not recognize my windows live account.  It is a loop!!!!  $45 lost!!!  I will have to purchase another antivirus from McCafee or Symantec!!!  Also, there is no telephone number where I can talk to a human being!!!
    Friday, January 4, 2008 12:19 PM
  • In what country are you located and what is your IE setting for Language?

In the FAQ,  How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2, are detailed steps on how to contact support via email if your subscription cannot be validated.

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 5:41 PM
  • I am in Puerto Rico which is part of the US and bought the software in Costco.  My IE language is USA English and second USA Spanish. The software is in english.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 7:35 PM
  •  ORDENDIVINO wrote:
    I am in Puerto Rico which is part of the US and bought the software in Costco.  My IE language is USA English and second USA Spanish. The software is in english.

Try setting the first IE language to Spanish (Puerto Rico) ES-PR and then activate.

Please let me know if this resolves it as there have been several reports of the redirect to get.live from people in Puerto Rico and I *know* OneCare is available there!

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:47 AM
  • I did it and it did not solve the problem. This is frustrating. As it approach the deadline of 15 days I will have to consider purchasing another software, since I cannot leave my PC without protection!!!
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 12:49 PM
  •  ORDENDIVINO wrote:
    I did it and it did not solve the problem. This is frustrating. As it approach the deadline of 15 days I will have to consider purchasing another software, since I cannot leave my PC without protection!!!

I will alert Microsoft to this problem via the OneCare team, but if you would contact support by email to report the same thing, hopefully it can be resolved quickly.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, January 7, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Steve:

Still no solution!!!!
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 1:38 AM
  • I Have the same problem, I sent a mail to the technical support as it says above.

I received a mail from MS saying to call a number in the UK. I called the number, was told my case was closed.

I spent 15 mins explaining the problem I had with some arrogant "helpdesk" person; talking to me as if I'm stupid.

He then said he would transfer me to a onecare colleague (???) but he would explain my problems to his colleague before putting me through.

I got through to the other person in 20 seconds, he had no clue about my problem, so I started explaining my problem and the phone cut off 20 secs later.

I dont have the time to waste on this product. I've been using NIS from 2003 with no probs, I'll just upgrade my current  NIS 2007 to 2008.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:49 AM
  •  ORDENDIVINO wrote:
    Steve:

Still no solution!!!!

Hopefully it *will* be resolved soon. I got a reply that the problem is under investigation.

-steve

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 1:53 PM
  •  antoniouandy wrote:

I Have the same problem, I sent a mail to the technical support as it says above.

I received a mail from MS saying to call a number in the UK. I called the number, was told my case was closed.

I spent 15 mins explaining the problem I had with some arrogant "helpdesk" person; talking to me as if I'm stupid.

He then said he would transfer me to a onecare colleague (???) but he would explain my problems to his colleague before putting me through.

I got through to the other person in 20 seconds, he had no clue about my problem, so I started explaining my problem and the phone cut off 20 secs later.

I dont have the time to waste on this product. I've been using NIS from 2003 with no probs, I'll just upgrade my current  NIS 2007 to 2008.

I'm sorry that you've run into this problem and then were referred to UK support. I assume that you are not in the UK? Are you in Puerto Rico? If so, there are two problems - the actual activation issue affecting multiple people in Puerto Rico that is under investigation by Microsoft and the fact that your email support case, as a user in Puerto Rico was somehow routed to support for Europe/UK. Can you let me know what country is listed in your LiveID profile at http://account.live.com? I'd like to have support management investigate what happened. If you can provide the support case number, too, that would be helpful.

-steve

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:19 PM
  •  

My Live ID is set to the UK but I am in Belgium.

The reason I changed it to the UK was because a few years back; I was getting msn and some other MS sites take me to the flemish version of the sites, even though my IE and windows settings were set to UK.

I changed it to Belgium just to try out of curiosity to see if it would work, but alas its the same thing.

Case number was SRX1054912659ID.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  antoniouandy wrote:

My Live ID is set to the UK but I am in Belgium.

The reason I changed it to the UK was because a few years back; I was getting msn and some other MS sites take me to the flemish version of the sites, even though my IE and windows settings were set to UK.

I changed it to Belgium just to try out of curiosity to see if it would work, but alas its the same thing.

Case number was SRX1054912659ID.

Since you are located in Belgium, your IE language settings must match your location. In Belgium, that means Dutch of French. Your operating system language and your LiveID settings are not an issue if you are using a product key to activate.

-steve

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Like I said i changed everything to Belgian settings and it still didnt work.

If it means I HAVE to have my IE settings set to Belgian, then this is enough of a reason not to use OneCare because I dont like it when websites direct me to dutch or french sites because my IE setting are set to one of them i.e. google and msn, even messenger is then downloaded in either of the languages...

Thanks for the help

Andy

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:29 AM
  • I changed my IE languange setting to EN international to enter the subscribtion on msn website.

And i also had to  change my 18 char password to a simple 5 char password so i could activate the clients.

i hope that this is useful.~

regards,

Hyper

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:18 AM
  •  

I just tried on my laptop (was working on my desktop yesterday), and if I add Dutch to the IE language settings i get to the page to activate it.

BUT its in Dutch. So again, for me I wont be buying this software cuz I'll need a translator to sit next to me when ever I need to do something on line cuz everything will be in dutch or french.

Andy

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:28 AM
  • I am traveling in China at the moment.

Does that mean I cannot Subscribe to One Care??

My trial expires in 4 days!!!!

By the way, I must add: the 90 day trial of ONE CARE was very good.

The experience of trying to SUBSCRIBE to ONE CARE, contact Help and "Tech Support" is THE WORST I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED SINCE 1985!

I thought Microsoft would be a reliably company, easy to deal with. What a joke!!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Cant agree with you more Ed E

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:08 PM
  •  antoniouandy wrote:

I just tried on my laptop (was working on my desktop yesterday), and if I add Dutch to the IE language settings i get to the page to activate it.

BUT its in Dutch. So again, for me I wont be buying this software cuz I'll need a translator to sit next to me when ever I need to do something on line cuz everything will be in dutch or french.

Andy

Once you activate the subscription, you can change it back to English. The language setting / IP check only happens when you first activate a subscription.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:22 PM
  •  Ed E wrote:

I am traveling in China at the moment.

Does that mean I cannot Subscribe to One Care??

My trial expires in 4 days!!!!

By the way, I must add: the 90 day trial of ONE CARE was very good.

The experience of trying to SUBSCRIBE to ONE CARE, contact Help and "Tech Support" is THE WORST I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED SINCE 1985!

I thought Microsoft would be a reliably company, easy to deal with. What a joke!!

Yes, since you are physically located in China, you will not be able to activate a subscription. If you had the susbcription and needed to install to another PC or reinstall, that language ad IP check would not take place and you'd be fine.

In my opinion, this is a misguided attempt to insure that OneCare is not purchased in a country where it is not available for sale.

I also agree that the support contact experience leaves much to be desired. :-(

Once the trial expires, you will still be protected for at least 30 days more, but tune-ups, backups, and manual configuration changes will not be able to be performed. At some point it will stop updating signatures and firewall rules, too.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Hi Stephen;

You replied promptly AND gave me the info I needed. Thank you VERY much!

While I'm not happy with the info, that's not your fault. I guess I will have to wait till I hit stateside...

Silly system but I'm sure they're preventing unwanted sales Stick out tongue

Thanks again for being there, for being a live person and for helping me out!

Sincerely,

Ed E

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:37 PM
  • You're welcome, Ed.

There is an alternative. If you obtain a retail product key, you can have someone in the US activate your subscription at http://onecare.live.com (which will redirect to http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/token.htm?redir=true) with a LiveID that you will then use to activate your copy as an "added" PC. The person activating for you doesn't need to install OneCare. The IP check only happens on the creation of a subscription.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:00 PM