Reinstalling WHS stuck at "Windows is loading files" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to reinstall WHS because of a number of issues that I can't seem to resolve. However, when I boot from my WHS DVD, it displays the message "Windows is loading files" and shows a progress bar. All seems to go well but when the progress bar has completed, nothing happens. Any ideas?
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm trying to reinstall WHS because of a number of issues that I can't seem to resolve. However, when I boot from my WHS DVD, it displays the message "Windows is loading files" and shows a progress bar. All seems to go well but when the progress bar has completed, nothing happens. Any ideas?
    Have you tried a different DVD drive?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:54 AM
  • No, I only have one DVD drive available. I'm trying to create a bootable USB stick from the installation DVD and use that to reinstall WHS.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Could you tell us more about your server please? General information about hardware would be helpful. Also, have you tried your reinstallation with your server disconnected from your network?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Hi,
    how much memory does your server have?
    If only 512 MB, What for a video card? Does that card use shared memory from the main RAM or has it its own memory?
    If the real RAM available for the OS is less than 512 MB, you need to upgrade the RAM first to meet the minimum requirements.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:41 PM
  • The server has 1.5GB of RAM. Please note that the server is currently running WHS, so there is no hardware problem. I just want to reinstall WHS because of a number of software issues with WHS that I can't resolve. And are getting worse. Yesterday I could still login to the server. Today not anymore... Just like that.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:42 PM
  • The server has 1.5GB of RAM. Please note that the server is currently running WHS, so there is no hardware problem. I just want to reinstall WHS because of a number of software issues with WHS that I can't resolve. And are getting worse. Yesterday I could still login to the server. Today not anymore... Just like that.
    Are you sure there's no hardware problem?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each hard drive in the server?  (See Ken Warren's FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:27 AM
  • Is this the same server as in this thread ?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:39 PM