WHS Backup Location RRS feed

• Question

• Good Evening, I have just managed [after 3 months] to undertake a backup of my Desktop PC using the HP MediaSmart Home Server EX-490.  This infact was rather non-trivial since it required me to re-format my desktop hard drive then re-install Vista, Office, etc, etc, etc.... Basically this activity took over a week to complete.

My question is, while the backup of my revitalised desktop implies it was indeed successful, I'm having trouble locating the whereabouts of this on my Hp MeadiaSmart Server.  I'm really just curious as to where on the system the backups are placed and how much space they occupy.   I may try and restore to whole backup to another spare drive [I must admit I do not know if the backup stores to whole disk - or - just "my data".  Guess if all else fails READ THE INSTRUCTIONS !!!]

Regards, Paul
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:07 PM

Answers

• Good Evening, I have just managed [after 3 months] to undertake a backup of my Desktop PC using the HP MediaSmart Home Server EX-490.  This infact was rather non-trivial since it required me to re-format my desktop hard drive then re-install Vista, Office, etc, etc, etc.... Basically this activity took over a week to complete.

My question is, while the backup of my revitalised desktop implies it was indeed successful, I'm having trouble locating the whereabouts of this on my Hp MeadiaSmart Server.

Don't worry about where it's actually stored on the server (you can't see it unless you logon to the server desktop anyway, and that's unsupported).

I'm really just curious as to where on the system the backups are placed and how much space they occupy.

You can see that in the pie chart in the Console.

I may try and restore to whole backup to another spare drive [I must admit I do not know if the backup stores to whole disk - or - just "my data".  Guess if all else fails READ THE INSTRUCTIONS !!!]

Regards, Paul
    The backup itself is everything (OS, data, etc. except for a few specific files which can be seen when you look at the Backup Configuration).  (And yes, reading the directions is always a good place to start.  :)  )
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:40 PM
  • See the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief (linked in a reply to another question you asked) for more information about how/where backups are stored.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:25 PM

All replies

My question is, while the backup of my revitalised desktop implies it was indeed successful, I'm having trouble locating the whereabouts of this on my Hp MeadiaSmart Server.

Don't worry about where it's actually stored on the server (you can't see it unless you logon to the server desktop anyway, and that's unsupported).

I'm really just curious as to where on the system the backups are placed and how much space they occupy.

You can see that in the pie chart in the Console.

I may try and restore to whole backup to another spare drive [I must admit I do not know if the backup stores to whole disk - or - just "my data".  Guess if all else fails READ THE INSTRUCTIONS !!!]

Regards, Paul
    The backup itself is everything (OS, data, etc. except for a few specific files which can be seen when you look at the Backup Configuration).  (And yes, reading the directions is always a good place to start.  :)  )
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:40 PM
  • See the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief (linked in a reply to another question you asked) for more information about how/where backups are stored.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:25 PM