I think I have been scammed.. RRS feed

• Question

• had a call from someone from 24x7 technical support saying  my windows 7 was having trouble on my computer, and I had been having trouble opening it up for a week or so..   I believed them and paid quite a sum of money..  they were on my computer "fixing it"for a couple of hours..   how do I know if this is genuine or not and would they have been interferring with my information such as credit card information..   I do have a reputable computer Internet security  fitted.. can they work through that without triggering an alarm..   I think perhaps I have been conned..    if so who can I report this to

regards Helen

Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:54 PM

Answers

• You do not say whose technical support called you so we can only speculate.  I know of no reputable businesses that are cold calling to do technical service.

You can report this kind of thing to your local police, the Better Business Bureau (or equivalent in your city), the credit card company.  It is not something anyone in this forum can help with nor does it sound like a Microsoft issue.  There are telephone scams like this that have been reported in various places around the world.

If you accepted remote assistance then the tech could remotely access your computer and use it as easily as you.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:14 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You do not say whose technical support called you so we can only speculate.  I know of no reputable businesses that are cold calling to do technical service.

You can report this kind of thing to your local police, the Better Business Bureau (or equivalent in your city), the credit card company.  It is not something anyone in this forum can help with nor does it sound like a Microsoft issue.  There are telephone scams like this that have been reported in various places around the world.

If you accepted remote assistance then the tech could remotely access your computer and use it as easily as you.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Microsoft does not cold call people to do Technical Support.

In fact, Microsoft doesn't contact anyone that has not previously requested to be contacted.

Cbarnhorst is correct, no legitimate business (that I'm aware of) cold calls people to provide technical support. Besides, How would they know your Windows 7 was having problems?

Darin MS
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:13 PM