locked
New XP client backup fails RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have been using WHS for several months with no problem.  I have rescently rebuilt the game computer for the family based on Win XP.  The three Vista clients back up with out a problem.  The new XP client fails with an unknown error after the backup gets to 57%.    Any ideas what the problem might be?  I've searched this forum and Google with success.

    FYI:  Two of the Vista clients are wireless laptops, the other is wired desktop.  The XP machine is a wireless desktop.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:13 AM

Answers

  •  I had a similar problem with an old desktop of mine that has three SCSI drives. It just turned to be some corrupt files. I just ran chkdsk/f and it took care of the problems... and I had errors on all three of the drives. I musta tried a dozen times after checking each drive it would then make it to the next drive and then stall... and so on. After several days of chkdsk and re-trys utilizing the enormous amount of spare time that I don't have it finally backed up 100%.

     

    Hope this helps!!

     

    Mark 

    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:14 AM

All replies

  •  beowulf1950 wrote:
    I have been using WHS for several months with no problem.  I have rescently rebuilt the game computer for the family based on Win XP.  The three Vista clients back up with out a problem.  The new XP client fails with an unknown error after the backup gets to 57%.    Any ideas what the problem might be?  I've searched this forum and Google with success.

    FYI:  Two of the Vista clients are wireless laptops, the other is wired desktop.  The XP machine is a wireless desktop.

     

    What do you mean by "rebuilt" (just format and start over or a hardware change)?  Did it work before you rebuilt it?  Also, did you look at the logs on the server and the client?  The logs can be found by browsing to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.

    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:46 AM
    Moderator
  •  I had a similar problem with an old desktop of mine that has three SCSI drives. It just turned to be some corrupt files. I just ran chkdsk/f and it took care of the problems... and I had errors on all three of the drives. I musta tried a dozen times after checking each drive it would then make it to the next drive and then stall... and so on. After several days of chkdsk and re-trys utilizing the enormous amount of spare time that I don't have it finally backed up 100%.

     

    Hope this helps!!

     

    Mark 

    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:14 AM
  • The answer the first question, the "rebuilt" means it was an old computer that was not orginally intended to be on the network, but I decided that having it backed would be a good idea.

    Mark,  I'll give that a try.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Well it turned to be a external drive that was the problem. I did individual backups on each of the drives and found that only the external failed.  I guess I'll work with it.  Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:53 PM