Looking for Energy Efficient CPU for DIY WHS Build - Pentium 4 or Core2Duo? RRS feed

• Question

• I built my own WHS back in the beta days 1-1/2 years ago. At that time, I was using whatever parts I had around the house. I went with a Gigabyte motherboard with the Intel 945 Express chipset and an Intel Pentium 4 Model 641 CPU. The CPU is from the Cedar Mill family, and has the D0 stepping. That makes it one of the very last Pentium 4's produced. I'm trying to reduce the power consumption of my 24/7 WHS box, so was wondering what the difference would be if I replaced the Pentium 4 with something like an E2200, E5200 or even E1400 (dual-core celeron)? Is it worth the hassles? The TDP numbers for all of these CPUs are around 65W, but I don't know what to expect as typical power consumption. I imagine the IDLE power for the newer CPUs is ALOT lower.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    depends, from what you wish to do besides the normal WHS tasks.
    Dual core means usually nearly dual power consumption, so a single core celeron could do the job also well depending from your requirements.
    Which socket does your mainboard have?
    Maybe one of the new Intel Atom processors would be interesting as well. Problem: If you have to invest into CPU, board and memory modules, this is still a good bunch of money and you will have to save a lot of power to gain the investment back.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Dual core means usually nearly dual power consumption, so a single core celeron could do the job also well depending from your requirements.
    Maybe one of the new Intel Atom processors would be interesting as well. Problem: If you have to invest into CPU, board and memory modules, this is still a good bunch of money and you will have to save a lot of power to gain the investment back.
    Olaf
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hello,
    Olaf

Thanks for the response. In addition to normal WHS tasks, I use it to stream audio/video to a media-center computer or my Sonos audio system. I also rip CD/DVDs to the WHS. I use it as both a NAS box and a backup device. I have a Socket 775, so I've looked at the E2xxx series, the Celeron 430 and the Celeron dual-core E1xxx. Seems like having the dual-cores might be nice for streaming.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:28 PM
  • My test server has an Allandale in it (2140, I think). It was chosen because the particular steppings that were shipping at that time consume very little power (for a desktop processor) at idle. My test server, when it's on, sits idle quite a bit and I didn't see why I should run a processor that costs more and burns more power. My Scottish ancestors approved of the sentiment, but asked why I need the second server at all... :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 3, 2008 11:03 PM
  • The latest version of my WHS box uses the Intel e-6400 2.13GHz duel-core chip with its speed step enabled in bios. This slows it down to 1200 something during light loads and must be saving lots of energy as its showing the cpu temp near the same as room temp.This is on a gigabyte ds3r V1 board, newer mobo's have some energy saving stuff they do over and above what mine can do.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:09 AM