Use of Bing Maps in CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I notice a few people on the forum appear to be using Bing maps embedded into their CRM system. As far as I can work out you can't use it for free unless it's on a public facing website. Extract from the bing maps api site:

Developers at all types of organizations can use the Bing Maps Platform for free, under the following conditions:

Obviously a CRM instance isn't a public facing website and is password protected, so I just wondered if anyone could share how they got around this restriction?  Do MSFT make an exception for CRM or, if not, what is the cost likely to be (I emailed the bing maps team yesterday, but they haven't replied yet). We only want to embed the maps on the contact page.

Thanks,

LJ

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I believe that companies that uses BingMap in CRM have 2 options:

1. Pay for usage.

2. Ignore.

There are no restrictions for usage of BingMaps in CRM.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Follow Andriy on Twitter

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Thanks Andrii!

Number 2 made me smile and is I suspect is the most common use case out there (but I didn't want to say it).

My company actually sell a CRM solution so we want to be careful and not break the rules, especially if it gets our clients into trouble. Equally we are a very small company at the moment and cannot afford massive licensing costs (Google Maps want £7000 a year).

I was hoping there may be some sort of dispensation for using it in CRM, but I realise that MSFT teams probably don't talk to each other about these things....

While i await my reply from the Bing maps team does anyone know roughly what a (very) low volume Bing maps license is likely to cost? Is there any sort of pay-per-click/pay-per-display pricing? I can't find any useful pricing details on the Bing API site.

Thanks again,

LJ.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:05 PM