The purpose of folder duplication if hd failure loses files? RRS feed

• Question

• Had a hard drive fail today.  No warning, just failed.  I have checked all connections and even replaced the SATA cable.  I have folder duplication on multiple folders and now it is showing up as file conflicts but when I try to open the files they do not exist.  How do I get these files back if they are truly duplicated.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:07 AM

Answers

• Please follow the directions I provided above. The Disk Management tool is not part of the console; the drive should still be listed in the Console as "Missing". Remove that drive, using the Console (right click and select the remove option, then accept any warnings about losing backups). It will probably take some time...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Stu Pidaso Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:07 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:01 PM

All replies

• I think what you are seeing is the tombstones attempting to access files which are not there. Attach the disk to another computer (USB Enclosure?) and search through the folders - your files should be there if Duplication was on for all the folders.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:49 AM
  • I would swear I already replied to this...

Try physically removing the failed disk, then removing the "missing" disk in the console. If all your files were duplicated, you should regain access to them. If you don't have enough room for Windows Home Server to automatically duplicate the files that were on the removed disk, you'll be warned that you need to add space to the server. And if any components of the backup database were on the failed disk, you'll lose some or all of your backups, for some or all client computers. You'll be warned of this when you try to remove the disk; all you can do is accept it and move on, as the database is already damaged in this case.

Monday, August 8, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Pulled out the suspect drive and connected to my PC.  The drive is completely dead.  Thought it might be because when I pulled it out it was cool.  I also double checked in drive management and it did not show up there.  So my question is what is the point of file duplication if it does nothing when a hd fails?  Can I get the files back that were duplicated?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Please follow the directions I provided above. The Disk Management tool is not part of the console; the drive should still be listed in the Console as "Missing". Remove that drive, using the Console (right click and select the remove option, then accept any warnings about losing backups). It will probably take some time...
    • Marked as answer by Stu Pidaso Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:07 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:01 PM
  • OK, the disk is dead. Follow Ken's instructions above or connect the good disk to your computer and follow what I suggested previously.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  Of course I lost some files but not the ones in folders marked as duplicated.  The ones I lost were not that important and probably have on my own PC anyway.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:08 PM