Struggling with OCS & Cisco options RRS feed

• Question

• Forgive me for a simplistic question but...

I have been asked to come up with the options available from implementing and OCS and/or CUCM/CUPS environment in our company.

It seems to me that you could go with either 100% Cisco or 100% OCS and get much the same functionality with no convincing arguments either way.  A full Cisco environment can do softphones, presence, voicemail, full telephony of course and so on.  Sticking OCS into the mix doesn't seem to enhance this much other than providing an alternative client - Office Communicator - and presumably a cost-saving somewhere.  However it may mean less profit if you're a reseller.

Is there a paper comparing features out there?  It can be hard to do direct comparisons just going by MS and Cisco papers.

Thanks

Mark

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• I havent seen any documentation specifically comparing cisco presence to OCS, we have deployed OCS within our company and the integration between OCS and other Microsoft products like Office and Sharepoint is extreamly valuable.  Within an email you can see presense of everyone on the to, cc and from fields.  Within sharepoint whenever a name is shown on the site the presence of that user is shown.  In both applications the OCS presence icon can be right clicked and a IM session or a voice call can be started.  If an IM Session or voice call is started from an Outlook email, OCS tags the IM or call with the same subject line that the email has.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:26 AM
  • As a Cisco Gold Partner and Mirosoft Gold Partner, our opinion is that Cisco has the edge in the call control space (they've been doing it way longer that Microsoft) but Microsoft rules the desktop.

Using both of these advantages, you have a great solution.

The downside is integration - it's not quite there yet.....but that's a big yet.

I hope that helps.

Hendo

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:12 AM