Importing data into CRM 4's Knowledge Base (Articles) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a bunch of Knowledge Base Items that I need to get into CRM 4 from another application.   I can write them out from the other application in .cvs format, but when in CRM 4 I try to create a data map and attempt to load the Knowledge Base Items in (clicking on the Load Sample Data button under Data/Management - click on the map I created - and then on Attributes) I get a message that says :

The number of fields differs from the number of column headings.  

I do not know what CRM is looking for when it displays that message because in the file I select each column has a heading.  

Can someone out there give me an idea as to why CRM 4 might be rejecting my file? 

Chris

Friday, August 29, 2008 5:36 PM

Answers

• It might be rejecting your file if you have commas in any of the fields.  With comma delimited, you if you have commas in any of the fields, it can be interpreted as two columns, and therefore the number of fields will differ from the number of column headings.

Best practice is to choose a different delimiter that isn't used in your file, or remove the extra commas.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:10 PM
  • How did convert the Excel file to csv format ?

if u just rename the file from xls to csv it will not work, u have to open it in excel and save it as csv format from there.

regards
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:12 PM

All replies

• It might be rejecting your file if you have commas in any of the fields.  With comma delimited, you if you have commas in any of the fields, it can be interpreted as two columns, and therefore the number of fields will differ from the number of column headings.

Best practice is to choose a different delimiter that isn't used in your file, or remove the extra commas.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:10 PM
  • You may also be getting this if you have carriage returns in any of your fields. These have to be removed prior to importing.

Leon Tribe
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:50 PM
  • How did convert the Excel file to csv format ?

if u just rename the file from xls to csv it will not work, u have to open it in excel and save it as csv format from there.

regards
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:12 PM