I need Help Please... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ever since I restored my client computer using WHS 2011, my "Lights Out" ad in has been doing strange things.

Let me explain, I have whs 2011 64 bit machine and a Win7 64 bit machine on my Home network I'm experimenting with (there are other machines on the network too, but none have the connector software installed for backup).

I installed the "Lights Out" ad in, so that the server could shut down at 1am and resume at 9am. The server is set to backup at 10am, and the client is set to backup at 12noon.

I also use the Win 7 client as my MCE computer, and it starts/stops throughout the day & night recording TV, I have plenty of HDD space to hold recordings and libraries on the client, so there are few libraries on the server. I'm experimenting now with backing up my most importent stuff on the server & client and with file sharing accross the Internet, I have a domain name from microsoft and my router is set.

Everything seemed to be working fine, until the client started blue screening every once and awhile or not waking up from sleep mode (or hibernation either) or it would just be in "slow motion" after waking up, super slow motion, I mean granny low gear motion and then everything was fine after I reset the client once. Turned out to be a bad HDD. I RMAed a replacement and did a restore first from an Image I created using R-Drive, but it thought that restore was a different computer and needed re-activation, so I did a restore from a Windows Image and I could never get that one to boot, so I re-installed from scratch and again it thought this was a different install.

I finally did a restore from the whs 2011, but it lost the connector software somehow and the Lights Out software did not shut the server down. I un-installed the connector and lights out, then re-installed them, but now its just doing wierd things.

-when the client comes ON, the server comes ON too. This takes 10 minutes to complete before the client becomes active.

-I shut down the client and wait for the timer to shut down the server and it shuts it down then starts it up for just a second or two, then shuts it down again. Over and Over it does this.

-the server won't shut down unless the client shuts down.

I'm at a lose, any insight would be helpful.

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:32 AM

All replies

• Servers are designed to run 24/7 so I'm not sure why you want it to shut down?

Steve

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Main reason is to conserve power usage, after all it is a Home server, not a commercial server. Most of my family is in the same time zone and there is no activity on the server between 2 am to 10 am, so why wear out the HDD.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Your best bet for problems with Lights Out is the publisher.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, November 23, 2012 1:05 PM
  • As far as the server waking up when the client wakes up, there is a setting in Lights Out for this: any client can be configured to force the server to wake up, so as to be able to access server resources. 

You could also try to ask your question here:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/forum/299-lightsout/

Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:13 AM
  • Thank you Gary & Ken, but I have been trying to register an account with "wegotserved" Forums for awhile now and I can't get by the security block (you know the copy the squigly words, so automated machines don't abuse their site thing), it always claims to not match. And there is no direct email to either the Lights Out or wegotserved forums.

So I am unable to contact them.

I have configured the Lights Out to not wake the server, but if one of the clients (in fact the only client) happens to be ON at the time, the server does that crazy start/stop thing over and over again. It works fine if the client is already OFF. My system started doing it after they had an update to the software, just about the time I restored my system too. I wanted to tell them about it, but I can't create an account at wegotserved, so I'm just shutting the server down & starting it up again manually.

If you guys can steer them to this thread, I'd apreciate it.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:27 AM
  • There is another option in lightsout to keep the server active when the client is running. It sounds as though that particular option has been set. The effect is as you described, the server shutdown and instantly reboots. 

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Monday, December 10, 2012 1:52 AM