none
New forum editor very, very slow RRS feed

Answers

• We're looking at the slow editor issue. We can't actually repro it very consistently. But we're working on it.

Community Forums Program Manager

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:12 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• What's your connection speed? What part of the world are you working from?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Nothing has changed on my end.  I have a 1 Mbps line, in South Africa.

This has only happened since you put in this new editor, like yesterday. 

Specifically, it takes a long time if I reply to posts (up to 10 seconds to get a flashing cursor).  Also, if I click the "Code Insert" button, I wait forever for the window to come up.

And the new color-coding for Powershell is just ghastly!

Everything else is just as fast: Page refreshes are actually faster.  Posting itself seems less buggy. 

Sometimes, with the old editor, you'd type a whole long reply, click Submit, and get an exclamation pop-up box.  Then you have to Ctrl-C what you've written, press F5 to refresh the page, click reply again, and paste in what you saved.  Then Submit.

It's hard work, but we persevere in spite of these difficulties.

Edit:  I just clicked Edit to edit this post, and it is also much slower to react than before.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Network Live Audit - Powershell script

• Edited by Bigteddy Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:36 PM
  • I though I had noticed a degredation in response as well, with nothing having changed recently in my network either, though it seems a bit better just now.

One other problem, though: the insert code block and insert html icons are the same as each other, and a toothed wheel is not particularly suggestive of either function.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Several times I have typed several words before the new editor is ready. I've learned to wait for it to load, although it's only several seconds. I knew we were seeing the new editor when I noticed that code blocks how have a border. Also, when I press "Enter", the paragraph sometimes blinks. Not sure what that is.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Hello,

agree with the others the time until you can start typing is really bad since yesterday.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:23 PM
  • If this is the place to complain about other factors...

When entering a response, one can no longer enlarge the input area to avoid having to scroll within it when editing. Maybe this is by design, to encourage less verbose responses, but...

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:47 PM

When entering a response, one can no longer enlarge the input area to avoid having to scroll within it when editing. Maybe this is by design, to encourage less verbose responses, but...

@ Al

Are you using IE10 by chance?  <eg>

Oops.  Another new bug?   The text I highlighted for the Insert link is not what is showing as being the link.

Let's see what the HTML view shows...   It's wrong there too.    I'll Submit and Edit if necessary...

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:31 AM
  • > If this is the place to complain about other factors...

The add link function takes over the screen now. When using this over Remote Desktop (over a VPN), this causes a screen redraw, which is really annoying.  The old tiny box worked just fine.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:38 PM

@ Al

Are you using IE10 by chance?  <eg>

Oops.  Another new bug?   The text I highlighted for the Insert link is not what is showing as being the link.

Let's see what the HTML view shows...   It's wrong there too.    I'll Submit and Edit if necessary...

Nope, IE9
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:11 PM
  • It's more than just slowness.

Since the last forum update caused so many replies to disappear with the "!" error message, I have been doing all my replies outside the browser.  So I can open the reply window, and the cursor should appear by the time I am ready to paste in the reply from my text editor.  But many times the cursor never appears and nothing can be pasted - the reply window is dead. It doesn't matter how long it has taken me to prepare the reply, it never activates.  I try to provoke it into action by cancelling the reply window and clicking reply again, or cancelling, refreshing the page and hitting Reply again, and eventually it activates.  But it takes many attempts, and I cannot see what pattern I need to follow to get an active reply window.

At least it was usable before, even if I often had to paste the reply several times to get one that would update, but now it is just too much hard work.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Yes, this website has become extremely frustrating to use.  I hope these problems are rectified soon.  I can't believe Microsoft would roll this out without testing it first!

One more complaint: There is no padding when editing:  You start slap-bang in the top-left-hand corner.  This is disconcerting.  There should be padding around the edit area.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Since the last forum update caused so many replies to disappear with the "!" error message, I have been doing all my replies outside the browser. 

many times the cursor never appears and nothing can be pasted - the reply window is dead.

On these forums before clicking Submit I always press Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c.   It has saved me recomposing many times.

Some times when the Submit error happens (or when it just doesn't work) I have had to close all IE windows before I can get going normally again.   However, I just realized that InPrivate Browsing might be a simpler alternative.   E.g. next time try pressing Ctrl-Shift-P and start over in that new window.

Another thing that happens in this scenario is the editor gets into a plain text only input mode.  In that case it is possible to post but only if you provide the necessary HTML formatting.   So then it might be an idea to make a very simple plain text post and Submit that with the intention of coming back with an Edit to do your Paste into it as a complete replacement.

BTW be careful with what HTML your outside editor is producing.   I am convinced that some of the problem cases that I have had involved trying to quote others' externally composed text.   For example, opening my composition in the HTML source frame (when that was possible) would find much complicated HTML involving SPAN and STYLE among other things; then retyping that in the HTML source frame has often allowed a post which would not Submit to finally work.   

But when Submit doesn't work and the HTML button doesn't work and cloning the tab (e.g. Ctrl-k) and retrying a Submit with it doesn't work, that's when I have to start refreshing the browser.   So that's when I would try Ctrl-Shift-P for InPrivate Browsing.   Doing that might still save you having to lose all of your other sessions just to make the forum editor happy.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:56 PM
  • > I can't believe Microsoft would roll this out without testing it first!

There was quite a bit of testing. See the request.

Nonetheless, it takes a while to have most people report their opinions.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Thanks for all the info....this helps.  Nice to see validation that at least some things are better. We are working on our next release to address as many editor issues as we can. We do have a bug on the editor load time, but from our side, once the resources are cached, things are really quick, it's just the first request to cache all the junk the editor uses. I wonder if there is some browser setting or something that is forcing a GET on the resources every time instead of relying on the browser to figure it out. That may be the problem.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:54 PM
    Answerer
  • IE10 has a lot of issues, we have an update on 2/13 to at least make it work better. IE10 that went out with the dev preview was, well, a developer preview. It's been a challenge, not just with our editor, but across many of our properties, to ensure things work. 

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:55 PM
    Answerer
  • > I can't believe Microsoft would roll this out without testing it first!

There was quite a bit of testing. See the request.

Nonetheless, it takes a while to have most people report their opinions.

Interesting how much of a difference there appears to be between the comments in that thread you referenced and the comments here, which seem to me generally much less positive. Almost as if a minor revision was added at the last minute...

So is this thread still the best place for us to make comments on the editor that is now in production?

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:54 PM
  • IE10 has a lot of issues, we have an update on 2/13 to at least make it work better.

Good to know.   Looking forward to that.   Thanks.

BTW this is still a problem in the new editor for IE9 (on W7).

Also reported previously in this forum somewhere...  Jan 30? 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/c0a2adc6-ceaa-4172-8f65-9cdb22a6330a

BTW that Insert Hyperlink  worked Ok.   But the other one I mentioned earlier happened while using IE9 too.   Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I was just reminded of another related post to test (not done yet) but it does document the workaround I needed to use to deal with it.   Sounds like others are in need of that anyway.

Robert
    ---

Edit:

Now done. Still problems. I guess I had forgotten the symptom. This is the one where you get prompted "Leave this page" and you have to say Yes or you get hosed. Still creates unusable threads. See all the new posts from me in the CTP Sandbox.

BTW why would two spaces have been impossible in that previous paragraph?  I usually like to leave two spaces after sentence terminators.  But the previous paragraph wouldn't let me do that.  Ok in this paragraph.   Another new quirk.

---

Edit via IE10 PP (on W7).   Seems better.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Totally agree - when selecting to reply there is a noticeable delay waiting for the cursor to be available in the editor. It's extremely frsutrating. Since this change I am also having issues with the alert me feature even though my setting is enabled to receive alerts on threads I comment in this is no longer happening automatically - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/3967bda8-13c6-4982-98bb-114435d767fc

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:32 PM
  • I have learnt to live with the problem of the posting failure, and the workflow I have developed to cope with it has been quite effective.  The failure of the edit window to activate is much more critical, and I haven't yet figured out any procedure that works consistently.   I am not greatly concered about losing all other IE windows, but when I go through the process several times and the window still doesn't activate, I am very likely to just give up.

I suspect the variations in the experience is a scaling effect where a small change to the process has created a small impact on some users and a disproportionately larger impact on other users.

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:28 AM
  • I have also experienced this. New editor has some weird issues.

When you paste a URL and then press <enter>, instead of cursor going to next line, it goes to begining of the URL which has been just pasted. I will have to press <end> then a <space> next <enter> to go to new line.

Vote As Helpful, if you find my information useful ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:39 AM
  • I have also experienced this. New editor has some weird issues.

When you paste a URL and then press <enter>, instead of cursor going to next line, it goes to begining of the URL which has been just pasted. I will have to press <end> then a <space> next <enter> to go to new line.

Vote As Helpful, if you find my information useful ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

I still have this issue even after 2/13 Forums update. I checked with IE 9 and Chrome.

By the way, New forums look is very nice, I liked it :)

Please remember to click "Vote As Helpful" on the post if the information is useful to you ! Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you to fix the issues, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Yes, I still notice a delay after I click "reply" before I can type.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Alert function is still not working. I need to manually select Alert Me option on the thread which I reply.

Please remember to click "Vote As Helpful" on the post if the information is useful to you ! Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you to fix the issues, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:23 PM
  • IE10 has a lot of issues, we have an update on 2/13 to at least make it work better. IE10 that went out with the dev preview was, well, a developer preview. It's been a challenge, not just with our editor, but across many of our properties, to ensure things work. 

I'm sorry Ed, I'm not trying to be a negative-Nelly, but the update of 2/13 has not improved the response time of the editor.  When I clicked "Quote" just now, it took about 10 seconds to give me a cursor.  That is really slow. 

I'm working on a decent speed line (1MB/s), and this is a relatively new development.  It was working much faster before.  The time to Submit has decreased since the change.  It's just when replying to posts, one has to wait for a long time.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:15 PM
  • I've experienced so many strange problems in the forums in the last day or so, I decided to document them. So far I have 26 issues in my list. 5 of them were reported by others (I have not experienced them yet). Some are complaints (like readability, wait time to reply), but most seem to be bugs.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:48 PM
  • The alert me feature is working again now for me however the editor is still slow.

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:53 PM
  • We're looking at the slow editor issue. We can't actually repro it very consistently. But we're working on it.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:12 PM
    Answerer

Brent, that was over a month ago, and nothing has improved. 

The forum editor is horribly slow, and sometimes I forget what I was going to say by the time I am able to type.  I'm talking of up to 20 seconds from the time I click "Reply", until I can type.

Fix it, or admit you can't.  This whole technet upgrade is a disaster with the buggy and very very slow editor.

Or is this just like Vista?  Just refuse to admit there's anything wrong, and hope the people will get used to it?

• Edited by Bigteddy Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Oh, by the way, if this is any clue, we can "fix" the issue by taking the word "technet." out of the URL.  This gives us back most of our old interface, so we can "cheat" our way around this horrific new interface.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:40 PM