Internet Explorer Security Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Was wondering if any of you have noticed that when you make changes to the IE security settings, Live OneCare changes them back? This is new in beta 2.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:52 AM

Answers

• Congratulations, I think you're the first person to have noticed and posted about an action taken by the new silent 'Proactive Fixes' feature of V2.0! 

The IE security setting is indeed one of the settings that OneCare V2 silently monitors in the background.  OneCare ensures that they are set to the default level (or higher)--you can change them to a lower level temporarily if you need to for some reason, but OneCare will check periodically (every few hours) and reset them back to a minimum of the default level. 

Thanks,

Guhan

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:45 PM
  • It would appear not. If you need lower security settings for a particular site or sites, you'll want to add to the Trusted Sites list which has a lower security setting.

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:10 PM

All replies

• I had not noticed this - but then I didn't change any IE settings on a machine with 2.0. Can you provide some examples?

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:52 PM
  •  

Yeah, for example - In Security | Custom Level | I "allow status bar updates via script". I check off "enable"  This works for the session, then it get changed back to disable. In my OneCare monthly info it said that it 'reset' my IE security settings
    Friday, July 27, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Thanks, I'll see what I can find out about this one...

-steve

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Thanks! Much Appreciated! It even said in the new monthly report that OnCare reset my security settings!

Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Congratulations, I think you're the first person to have noticed and posted about an action taken by the new silent 'Proactive Fixes' feature of V2.0! 

The IE security setting is indeed one of the settings that OneCare V2 silently monitors in the background.  OneCare ensures that they are set to the default level (or higher)--you can change them to a lower level temporarily if you need to for some reason, but OneCare will check periodically (every few hours) and reset them back to a minimum of the default level. 

Thanks,

Guhan

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Thanks for that explanation, Guhan.

-steve

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:40 PM
  • That answers my question Thanks!-- anyway around that? I mean to keep the setings where I want them?

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:04 AM
  • It would appear not. If you need lower security settings for a particular site or sites, you'll want to add to the Trusted Sites list which has a lower security setting.

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Perfect! Works like a charm! THANKS!

Thursday, August 2, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Thanks for confirming! Glad it helped.

-steve

Friday, August 3, 2007 4:52 PM