Reinstallation of WHS on a new drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to ask you some questions which should have been already asked but I cannot find the answer through the search option... I've found some answer here : http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1224545&SiteID=50 ... but it was for Beta2 and I don't know if it's still up to date.

I have actually 5 physical drives in my server. The primary is for system/data partition (C: 20gb / D: the rest) and the 4 other drives are for data. I would like to replace the main drive with a new one (bigger and healthy)... that means I will have to reinstall my WHS operating system on the new drive.

But ... :

- If I put a new drive, I will lose the system/data partition. I read that when you start with the installation DVD, you will be asked for "fresh install" or "reinstallation"... Can I be able to do a "server reinstallation" ? Or is it only available if I try to reinstall on an already existing system ?

- If I do a "server reinstallation", does the reinstallation process recreate the data partition ? (D: logical drive on the main physical drive)... If yes, does it recreate the data partition regarding the files on the 4 other drives ? Or will I lose some files ?

- If I put a new drive, I will lose my licence key activation. So, since I've already registered my licence key, how can I activate my WHS again ?

So I'm sure you'll be able to help me Smile

Thanks in advance for your help.

Spawny

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:26 PM

Answers

• If you replace the old system drive with a new drive and then boot from the install DVD you should get the server reinstallation option. Normally this should preserve all your data and the client backups. (it will recreate the D partition the way it was, based on the files present on the data drives).

This procedure might fail if your system also stored data in D:\DE\shares or D:\DE folders (normally only happens when your other data disks are really full). If that's the case you should also keep the old system drive connected during reinstall, however make sure it's not the primary disk.

Please backup any data you reallty can't afford to loose before starting the process. It's better to be safe then sorry!

If you need to re-activate and it's the first time you can probably do this over the internet. If not the activation tool will provide you with an option for phone activation.

NOTE: the procedure you refer to is outdated in a number of respects.

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:56 PM

All replies

• If you replace the old system drive with a new drive and then boot from the install DVD you should get the server reinstallation option. Normally this should preserve all your data and the client backups. (it will recreate the D partition the way it was, based on the files present on the data drives).

This procedure might fail if your system also stored data in D:\DE\shares or D:\DE folders (normally only happens when your other data disks are really full). If that's the case you should also keep the old system drive connected during reinstall, however make sure it's not the primary disk.

Please backup any data you reallty can't afford to loose before starting the process. It's better to be safe then sorry!

If you need to re-activate and it's the first time you can probably do this over the internet. If not the activation tool will provide you with an option for phone activation.

NOTE: the procedure you refer to is outdated in a number of respects.

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Thanks for the information.

I'll try that and keep you inform.

Spawny.

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:50 PM
  • I tried this procedure and, it didn't work.  First, I disconnected the old system drive and installed a new one.  The only option I saw from the CD on install was New Installation.  So, I reconnected the old system drive but made sure the new one was the boot dirve.  Then I saw a Server Reinstallation option.  So I let it do its thing.  But, on reboot, it couldn't find the new drive and failed.  So, I tried again.  This time it reinstalled...but on the old drive.  So, I am just going to go with it for now!

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:42 PM