User monitoring software RRS feed

• Question

• I just had a quick question. im sure there is software out there that will monitor users but i have no clue what they are. i am looking for a piece of software that will monitor users. i know event viewer does some of that when they log in and type an incorrect password but i want somthing more advanced like for logging in regularly/remote access and when they log in how long they are on there and what files they download or upload. i am doin this in an effort to keep track of stuff. because im at a dorm and i gave my server login to about 5 people and i just want to keeps tabs on them. i mean i trust them b/c they are my friends but still. so you guys have any ideas on the software? that would be great if you do!!
    David

There are 10 differents kinds of people in the world those who understand binary those who dont
    Friday, October 10, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

• For monitoring users of your Remote Access web site, you can use any of a number of web log analysis tools, such as AWStats (free), or WebTrends (decidedly not free). Many of them will be able to show information about user sessions in addition to raw page view statistics.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:11 PM

All replies

• David,

At present, there isn't a great deal of choice, especially WHS based. However, there has been an Add-In, Remote Alert, recently released, which might help.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 4:55 PM
  • well in theory any monitoring software from 2003 server should work.... i no it may not work exactly as it should but i think i could deal w/ that or try to make it work so any ideas for 2003 or WHS?
    There are 10 differents kinds of people in the world those who understand binary those who dont
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:35 PM
  • For monitoring users of your Remote Access web site, you can use any of a number of web log analysis tools, such as AWStats (free), or WebTrends (decidedly not free). Many of them will be able to show information about user sessions in addition to raw page view statistics.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:11 PM