none
howmuch are C# collection classes used in asp.net MVC? RRS feed

• Question

• hi. I'm learning C# for asp.net MVC. my question is: must I fully learn collections for asp.net MVC programming? howmuch must I learn it? how about threads and events?

thank you

• Edited by mbkh Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:25 PM
    • Moved by litdev Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:38 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:19 PM

Answers

• I'm learning C# for asp.net MVC. my question is: must I fully learn collections for asp.net MVC programming? howmuch must I learn it? how about threads and events?

About collections: Yes, you do need to learn them for MVC. The "Model" in MVC, which you use for transporting data between the Controller and the View, will typically be a collection such as a List<type>, so you will find yourself using collections all of the time. Also, an MVC application will usually access a database by means of an ORM such as Entity Framework. This will return data encapsulated in a collection, so once again you need to learn about them. Make sure you also study the interfaces implemented by collections, such as IEnumerable.

About threads and events: Not needed for a beginner in MVC. Your code in MVC will typically be single-threaded. It's not that you can't use threads, it's just that a common, simple application does not require you to write them. Also, events are usually not needed in MVC (contrary to other patterns such as WebForms, which are event-driven).

• Marked as answer by mbkh Friday, September 20, 2013 7:23 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 6:24 AM
  •  must learn anything except generics(like stack,queue,...)?

On the contrary, almost everything is done with Generics. The non-generic collections are very rarely used. If anything, the most useful collection is the generic List<ofType>.

Must I learn anonymous methods for asp.net mvc programming

Not really, you can write an MVC application without ever using an anonymous method. However, they will be useful to know in order to understand any code samples that might use them.

• Marked as answer by mbkh Friday, September 20, 2013 8:24 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 8:20 AM

All replies

• Sorry, you posted to the Small Basic programming language forum - moving to training.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

Have you looked at the official ASP.NET MVC page? http://www.asp.net/mvc/overview/what-is-mvc

If your training is based on Microsoft courses and certification then you can have a look at the MCSD: Web Applications certifications to see what is required. This certification includes training 486 and exam 70-486 for Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsd-web-apps-certification.aspx

If your training is not based on a Microsoft course or certification then we cannot tell you what you should know about MVC for your training.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Twitter: @dnyvandam http://www.dannyvandam.net

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:15 PM
  • I'm learning C# for asp.net MVC. my question is: must I fully learn collections for asp.net MVC programming? howmuch must I learn it? how about threads and events?

About collections: Yes, you do need to learn them for MVC. The "Model" in MVC, which you use for transporting data between the Controller and the View, will typically be a collection such as a List<type>, so you will find yourself using collections all of the time. Also, an MVC application will usually access a database by means of an ORM such as Entity Framework. This will return data encapsulated in a collection, so once again you need to learn about them. Make sure you also study the interfaces implemented by collections, such as IEnumerable.

About threads and events: Not needed for a beginner in MVC. Your code in MVC will typically be single-threaded. It's not that you can't use threads, it's just that a common, simple application does not require you to write them. Also, events are usually not needed in MVC (contrary to other patterns such as WebForms, which are event-driven).

• Marked as answer by mbkh Friday, September 20, 2013 7:23 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 6:24 AM
  • thanks alot alberto. but in collections, must learn anything except generics(like stack,queue,...)? And Must I learn anonymous methods for asp.net mvc programming?
    Friday, September 20, 2013 7:28 AM
  •  must learn anything except generics(like stack,queue,...)?

On the contrary, almost everything is done with Generics. The non-generic collections are very rarely used. If anything, the most useful collection is the generic List<ofType>.

Must I learn anonymous methods for asp.net mvc programming

Not really, you can write an MVC application without ever using an anonymous method. However, they will be useful to know in order to understand any code samples that might use them.

• Marked as answer by mbkh Friday, September 20, 2013 8:24 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 8:20 AM
  • thank's again alberto. your answers is the best answers to my questions in all forums.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 8:25 AM