Vail (7600 Build) will not boot up until 1 drive is disconnected RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok strange problem - Running a windows vail (7600 Build) have 6 sata drives connected.  All drives are the same WD 1.5TB.  However on reboot it reads the drives and then sticks on flashing cursor.  I can unplug drive #5 reboot and it will load up.  Go into server dashboard and see drive #5 is "Missing", Plug drive 5 back in, I can then open control panel and scan for hardware changes in device manager under disk drives and it will add the drive back as if it was never gone and Vail works fine.  This only happens on reboot.  I have swapped different drives into the 5th drive (Sata#5) with the same problem.  I don't think its a port issue since Vail recognizes it after I scan for hardware changes.  The computer itself locks up and never boots into Vail until I power off/down Sata hard Drive port#5.  Any ideas?

Thanks again guys and Happy New year:

Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:45 AM

All replies

• It does sound like a port or possibly a cable issue.  The drive seems to be ruled out since you swapped and kept the problem.  Did you try a different SATA cable?  There could be some noise or timing issue on that port.  Can you watch the POST process to determine whether the drive is properly identified at that point?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Swapped out the cable, no change in problem.  I watched the post and it initally identifies all of the drives and then goes to the flashing cursor and will not boot.  I can power off the drive (Disconnect it) and reboot, goes through the post and boots fine, then as stated above just have to re-add the drive via device manager scan for new hardware...am going to go back thorugh the BIO's to make sure all the settings are correct!
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Something else I just thought of.  I had a similar problem when I reshuffled drives between my WHS v1 and Vail servers.  Somehow the BIOS had the boot priority set to a nonsystem drive.  Could yours be set to port 5, so that when it's not there, the computer finds the right boot partition?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:58 PM