Allowing 3rd party access to company CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever we need to send to a 3rd party (or import from a 3rd party) data from our CRM, we go thru the usual exercise of listing the data, send a PDF or exporting to Excel, e-mailing, etc., back or forth.

Right now we want to send to a telemarketing oufit a list of inactive CRM Leads for them to work & tell us if indeed they are dead or if there is still a chance. This requires time & resources on our part as well. If they could access the CRM data directly & update with notes it would save time for both of us.

1. Have anyone provided access to their CRM, for limited time, to 3rd parties to use CRN for purposes like this?

2. Is there a way to limit a new 3rd party CRM login to just one module or just one menu,like Leads?

3. Is there are way to limit WHAT they do (update, but no share, inactivate or delete records?

I know this is a sticky subject with many security issues. Any advice & experiences along these lines are appreciated...

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:25 PM

Answers

•  

To give direct access to CRM you would need to add users to Active Directory and purchase CRM licenses.  An alternative that would give you everything you need is to expose your Lead or whatever records you want to give access, through a portal like Sharepoint or a Web page / Web site and give the users access to that Web site. 

You have full control over what you expose and how the information is integrated with CRM.  You can use the SDK to integrate the Web page or Web site with CRM.  Here is the link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb928212.aspx

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Donna's option is probably the cleanest but there may be licensing implications in the form of the connector license, which can be quite expensive.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me riff on about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:28 PM
  • If you develop the interface from your Web site to CRM using the SDK you can avoid purchasing the integration piece.  If you want to use an interface that is Microsoft approved, Scribe is an inexpensive solution that will allow you to pass data between a web page and CRM.  It should be relatively easy to get this up and running.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:52 AM
  • You do need the external connector license if you want to read/write CRM database via a 3rd party application.

More details see: CRM 4.0 External Connector License

Cheers,

Jim

Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:27 AM
  • Thanks for the correction, I appreciate it.  Do you have another link to that information that is not on the mbs web site?

It is interesting that Scribe does not reference the need for the pricing when they sell their product?  I wonder if one does not need to purchase that piece if they purchase Scribe to integrate data with CRM?  I think several partners may be selling it that way. 

Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:13 PM
  •  

Thanks to all of you. All things considered we have decided to export/import Leads to/from the 3rd party.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

•  

To give direct access to CRM you would need to add users to Active Directory and purchase CRM licenses.  An alternative that would give you everything you need is to expose your Lead or whatever records you want to give access, through a portal like Sharepoint or a Web page / Web site and give the users access to that Web site. 

You have full control over what you expose and how the information is integrated with CRM.  You can use the SDK to integrate the Web page or Web site with CRM.  Here is the link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb928212.aspx

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Donna's option is probably the cleanest but there may be licensing implications in the form of the connector license, which can be quite expensive.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me riff on about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:28 PM
  • If you develop the interface from your Web site to CRM using the SDK you can avoid purchasing the integration piece.  If you want to use an interface that is Microsoft approved, Scribe is an inexpensive solution that will allow you to pass data between a web page and CRM.  It should be relatively easy to get this up and running.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:52 AM
  • You do need the external connector license if you want to read/write CRM database via a 3rd party application.

More details see: CRM 4.0 External Connector License

Cheers,

Jim

Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:27 AM
  • Thanks for the correction, I appreciate it.  Do you have another link to that information that is not on the mbs web site?

It is interesting that Scribe does not reference the need for the pricing when they sell their product?  I wonder if one does not need to purchase that piece if they purchase Scribe to integrate data with CRM?  I think several partners may be selling it that way. 

Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:13 PM
  •  

Thanks to all of you. All things considered we have decided to export/import Leads to/from the 3rd party.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:42 PM