Virtualization of failing computer to Mac using VMWare Fusion - legal issues? RRS feed

• Question

• A Sony laptop computer I bought some years ago had a failing motherboard (CPU fan failure caused blue screen errors).  I purchased a Macbook and used VMWare Fusion to create a clone of the original computer to run on the Macbook, and decommissioned the computer.  The computer uses Windows XP Home Premium OS, at that time with SP1.  According to the VMWare information, I needed to reactivate the Windows XP OS on the Macbook, which I did immediately after generating the clone.  The alternative would have been replacing the motherboard on the Sony machine, at a much higher cost and additional $240 in labor on top.  The Sony laptop has not been used since this clone was created, and there was no apparent issue with Microsoft reactivating the software on the Macbook.  Now I am being told that if it was an OEM version I would not be able to or allowed to reactivate it on different hardware and would need to buy a new license.  Since Windows Update has been working and installing updates and it is now at SP3, I naturally assumed that using VMWare virtualization and running the virtual clone on the Macbook was legitimate, provided that Microsoft activated the OS on the new hardware.  If I need to buy a new license in order to use the clone, can it still be obtained?  Much of the user software in use on the clone is older and would not run under Windows Vista or 7. Also these OS's would use too much HDD space to work on the Macbook without a larger HDD than that originally installed.  Also if I get a new license, do I have to reinstall the OS and reinstall all the software again or simply change the license key via the activation process?  What are my options, please?
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:57 AM

Answers