How to Identify CRM Record is created from Within CRM or From Portal? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

1. I created One Account in CRM.

2. And I Created One more Different Account from Portal.

So as i will check after some time , How to Identify which one is created from Within CRM and Which one is from Portal

Thank You.

K V SambasivaRao

Friday, December 6, 2013 12:22 PM

All replies

• Is there any field that is exclusively created by the portal? Something like a custom or native account field that is not touched by user in the CRM but only by the Portal.

Is the portal using one account to impersonate all users?

A quick solution is create a Field called PortalAccount and make it invisible. then you can extend your portal to update that field.

another way is add a log on your portal code and capture the ID of the newly created account.

something like

var portalaccount  = service.AddObject(account);

portalaccount will have the info for the new account created by the portal

than you can log it, possibly to a database

I Hope I could help. If I have answered please mark as 'Answer'. If was just helpful, please vote. Thanks and happy coding! Bruno Lucas, http://dynamicday.wordpress.com/

• Edited by SH_2017 Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by D Suresh Kumar Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:52 AM
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Hi,

No. I created a CRM PRIMARY ACCOUNT NAME IN CRM. AGAIN I CREATED A  CRM PRIMARY ACCOUNT NAME FROM PORTAL.

SO HOW TO IDENTIFY WHICH ONE IS FROM CRM AND WHICH ONE IS FROM PORTAL.

K V SambasivaRao

Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:59 PM
  • By default, CRM doesn't keep a track of source system (where the record is created). You can use a solution as suggested by BrunoLucas.

If you are just trying to figure out something and don't need to track the source system(just get the detail for these 2 records) then check the CreatedOn field to differentiate the records based on the time of creation.

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Monday, December 9, 2013 1:57 AM
  • If you login as you on CRM and create "CRM PRIMARY ACCOUNT NAME IN CRM"

and if you  create and "CRM PRIMARY ACCOUNT NAME FROM PORTAL" using your credential (I'm assuming your portal impersonate your account)

There is no way to tell the difference beside the time createdon. But if you are trying to query the accounts created for one and the other on the end of the day that is not going to help

If you portal impersonate only one account like "PORTAL_SERVICE", all the records created by it will have Owner= "PORTAL_SERVICE"

than you could select everything created by "PORTAL_SERVICE"

Now if the PORTAL code picks the login for each individual CRM user, like Mike loging as Mike and the portal impersonates Mike, that the Owner is going to be Mike and there will be no difference from whatever Mike creates using CRM UI.

CRM SDK code\Portal is not different than what CRM UI does unless you add a field on the entity like a Yes\NO and call it PortalRecord

I Hope I could help. If I have answered please mark as 'Answer'. If was just helpful, please vote. Thanks and happy coding! Bruno Lucas, http://dynamicday.wordpress.com/

Monday, December 9, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Hi ,

Out of Box there is no such functionality to keep a track of source system .

You must have an invisble field , which is not shown to the user . If you are creatin the account from the web or portal you need to fill the same field with your desired text value for differentiate.

Hope it will help to you.

Warm Regards, Suresh Kumar D

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:55 AM