none
Threading in Forums, and Flat/Regular Settings RRS feed

• Question

• For most forums I don't see threading indicated while viewing a thread, despite having selected "<label>Threaded List View"</label> in my settings, but within threads  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/threads I do. Even if I select "Flat List View" in my settings, I do.

I like the list of threads in the regular view better, but I like to be able to see threading while viewing a partcular thread (within some depth limit).

So to get to a question, do others see it the same, where the Flat/Regular view settings don't matter, or do I maybe have some IE setting different?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:11 PM

Answers

• So I use flat view and switched to thread view. And in the full thread page (not the drop down preview feature on the Forum page), I looked, and it was still flat. But then I refreshed IE and saw the thread view fine without problems. Yes, it showed threading depth, as expected.

I switched back via the Settings, and the thread view was still present (not expected). I refreshed the page in IE and it was flat again the way I wanted. 

Have you seen similar behavior?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:06 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Test

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:05 PM
    Owner
  • Test

test

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:05 PM
    Owner
  • Test

test

test

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:06 PM
    Owner
  • test to top

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:06 PM
    Owner
  • I had to refresh the thread page, but yeah, it looks thread-tastic to me.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:07 PM
    Owner
  • I went to this forum and saw the different format. I saw this thread was indeed showed threading levels. Then I browsed around and came back. Now it looks flat to me. Hmmm.

When you say you refreshed the thread page, do you mean you clicked Refresh in IE? Or was it some kind of administrator thing that you did for the forum? And does this thread show threading depth for you?

Thanks for your testing.

Friday, January 11, 2013 1:58 AM
  • So I use flat view and switched to thread view. And in the full thread page (not the drop down preview feature on the Forum page), I looked, and it was still flat. But then I refreshed IE and saw the thread view fine without problems. Yes, it showed threading depth, as expected.

I switched back via the Settings, and the thread view was still present (not expected). I refreshed the page in IE and it was flat again the way I wanted. 

Have you seen similar behavior?

Thanks!

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:06 AM
    Owner
  • I just checked and it shows threaded now. Thanks. I will watch how it goes, but flat has some advantages too.
    Friday, January 11, 2013 5:06 AM
  • Do you think it's a "bug" or unexpected behavior that you land back to the thread from the Settings page, but you still have to refresh your browser to see the changes?

I think that might be a little misleading. Should I submit that as a bug request?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:35 PM
    Owner
  • No bug, unless I see something more or if others see something strange. I see threading in this forum now. Ideally anybody could change the setting, reload IE or reboot Windows, and see threading or flat.

I have never seen threading in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/threads?ppud=4

It might scare us if I did, especially if it is not readily controllable. Thanks.

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:52 PM