How many Microsoft.Net frameworks do I need? RRS feed

• Question

• In my program file I have Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1, 1.1 Hotfix, 2.0 servic Pack 1, 3.0 Service Pack 1. 3.5. I'm looking to free up some memory on my hard drive so do I need all of these and why? Thanks
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well, I don't think you'll be able to free up much space I'm afraid. 

Here's a quick description of each.

.Net Framework 1.1:      This is a standalone version of .Net Framework (Separate from .2.0, et al) and is needed if applications you use require this version of the framework.
    .Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix:      This is just an update to 1.1 and shouldn't take up that much additional space.  I would keep this.
    .Net Framework 2.0:      This is the version of the framework that was released after 1.1 and is required to run applications that make use of this version of the framework.
    .Net Framework 3.0:      This version of the framework was handled like an update of 2.0, overwriting bits of 2.0 and adding some functionality.  This is necessary if you have applications that require parts of the framework introduced in 3.0.
    .Net Framework 3.5:      This version of the framework was handled like an update of 2.0 and 3.0, overwriting bits of 2.0 and 3.0 and adding some functionality.  This is necessary if you have applications that require parts of the framework introduced in 3.5.

The updates to the various .Net Frameworks shouldn't take up all that much space, and are required by a good deal of applications.  The fact that they're on your machine tells me something required them at one point.  The unfortunate thing is that 1.1 was handled as a separate release, and in addition to that many applications still rely on this aging version of the framework.  As a result you may be able to uninstall this version to save some space, but it may break some applications if they rely on it.  You could always reinstall 1.1 if you need it, but this version of the framework probably wouldn't save you as much space as you are looking for.  I would recommend removing applications you do not need any longer, temporary files, etc.  A good system cleanup program can be found at: www.ccleaner.com.  You should also defrag and such.

Hope that helps,
    • Proposed as answer by MLyons10 Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:38 AM
  •  

Hello,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in one of the MSDN > Forums Home > .NET Development

located here: 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/netdevelopment/

Have a great day!

Kiran Polimetla Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Thanks for the info!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:43 AM