Restore information to computer RRS feed

• Question

• I had a computer crash so I had to completely restore all applications.  Doing this I changed to Outlook 2007 from 2009.  I did the restore with out Outlook installed.  Everything seemed to work ok.  Now I have Outlook 2007 installed I can not get it to restore.  I have an external HD that I used before for Backup.  When the computer applications were restored the name of my computer changed name.  I reestablished my computer as the HUB as before but with the new name.  I could not get it to restore so I deleted the original name from the hub.  I can see where the files have been saved but I can't get them to import.  I followed the procedure on Windows Live Help- Import restored e-mail but when I get the the Item5 I can not find the file to import from.  The computer has Vista loaded.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• When you performed the restore, I assume a custom restore, it would have placed the restored files in the original location on the PC. Since the PC had a new name, I assume that it may also have another User Profile matching the profile name of the old computer. That would be a different profile than the one you are currently using.
    The location of the Outlook.pst file is a hidden folder - in XP, it is \Documents and Settings\{User}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    Change your Windows Explorer settings to show hidden files and folders and then search for *.pst and I suspect that you'll find the file in that location where {user} is the old profile name from before you restored the PC.
    If you are unable to locate the restore PST file, I suggest that you contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:09 AM

All replies

• Are you able to see the .pst files in the restore folder? If so are you able to import the files if you copy them to a location outside of the restore folder first?

Jim
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:52 AM
  • When you performed the restore, I assume a custom restore, it would have placed the restored files in the original location on the PC. Since the PC had a new name, I assume that it may also have another User Profile matching the profile name of the old computer. That would be a different profile than the one you are currently using.
    The location of the Outlook.pst file is a hidden folder - in XP, it is \Documents and Settings\{User}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    Change your Windows Explorer settings to show hidden files and folders and then search for *.pst and I suspect that you'll find the file in that location where {user} is the old profile name from before you restored the PC.
    If you are unable to locate the restore PST file, I suggest that you contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:09 AM