WHS Backups stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I hope someone can help me out. I have a network with 3 PCs and a Windows Home Server that I use for backups. After working fine for several months, I upgraded one of the PCs from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. The upgrade worked well and the WHS backups on that machine continued to work with no intervention from me - to my amazement. However, on the other 2 machines which are still running XP SP3, the backups stopped working. On one of the machines (XP Professional), I uninstalled the connector and now cannot reinstall it. I get a message that the "An error occurred starting the Windows Home Server Connector setup program". On the other machine ( XP Home Premium) the backup stopped working as well. When I try to manually back up, it tells me that backups are not configured for that machine. when I try to configure, it hangs while trying to gather information from the machine. 

The server itself is running fine - storage is online and I can access the drives and shared folders over the network. This seems to be a problem related to my upgrading one machine from Vista to Windows 7. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

Sunday, July 4, 2010 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hello - I hope someone can help me out. I have a network with 3 PCs and a Windows Home Server that I use for backups. After working fine for several months, I upgraded one of the PCs from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. The upgrade worked well and the WHS backups on that machine continued to work with no intervention from me - to my amazement. However, on the other 2 machines which are still running XP SP3, the backups stopped working. On one of the machines (XP Professional), I uninstalled the connector and now cannot reinstall it. I get a message that the "An error occurred starting the Windows Home Server Connector setup program". On the other machine ( XP Home Premium) the backup stopped working as well. When I try to manually back up, it tells me that backups are not configured for that machine. when I try to configure, it hangs while trying to gather information from the machine. 

The server itself is running fine - storage is online and I can access the drives and shared folders over the network. This seems to be a problem related to my upgrading one machine from Vista to Windows 7. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

I don't see how upgrading the OS on one client can possibly have any affect on other clients.  There is something wrong with those other clients.  From your XP Pro client, can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  On your XP Home client, how much free space do you have?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive on that client?
    Monday, July 5, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I can ping the server from both machines and can also remote log in to it. Chkdsk/r shows no problems and there is plenty of disk space on both machines. I've virus scanned the machines - no probelms there either.

When I enter the url http://<YourServerName>:55000/enrollid/id.xml URL I get the correct results. But when I enter http://<YourServerName>:56000/enrollid/id.xml it just hangs up.

As I mentioned, both machines backed up perfectly before I upgraded the third machine to Windows 7. Now I can't configure backups and I can;t reinstall the connector oneither machine. Maybe there was a Microsoft update that caused a problem.

Friday, July 9, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

on the machines rejecting the reinstallation delete the folder C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server.

Do you have installed any 3rd party firewall software/security suite on the client or the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, July 9, 2010 9:29 PM