Custom Tab Issue RRS feed

• Question

• We have set up three custom tabs and assigned them three different internet sites as a test.  Problem is, only one site shows up.  The other tabs display "Sorry, this page is temporarily unavailable".  These are pages that are available (www.microsoft.com, www.google.com, etc)

Is this a limitation of the beta?  Thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:50 PM

Answers

• Just got back from TechEd where I was speaking with some OCS engineers about this issue.  One engineer told me that if the xml config file is placed on a network share (like we have), then internet sites on the tabs will not work--the xml has to be on the local machine for this to work.  Intranet sites will work when the xml file is remote, just not internet.  Another engineer OCS enginer listening to the conversation was skeptical, and said he will test this and get back to me.  We shall see...
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:30 PM

All replies

• It should not be a limitation. I know this seems basic, but have you verified the syntax you entered for the sites? Can you access them from Internet Explorer directly, from the clients?
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:48 PM
  • Hi Anonymouse,

Can you let me know the status of your issue? If you have been able to find a resolution, would you be able to share it with the forums?

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Still no resolution.  We will be working w/ Microsoft directly with this, so I will let you know the resolution.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Hello,

Could be a security issue.
      Did you add all the sites to your trusted domains in the IE ? 

Regards,

Christoph

Friday, June 1, 2007 11:19 AM
  • Just got back from TechEd where I was speaking with some OCS engineers about this issue.  One engineer told me that if the xml config file is placed on a network share (like we have), then internet sites on the tabs will not work--the xml has to be on the local machine for this to work.  Intranet sites will work when the xml file is remote, just not internet.  Another engineer OCS enginer listening to the conversation was skeptical, and said he will test this and get back to me.  We shall see...
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:30 PM
  • I'm using a local XML file and have the same problem. Intranet sites work just fine, but Internet (http://www.google.com and http://www.msn.com) will show the "Page is temporarily unavailable" error. I can't find any errors in event logs and I've added the sites to IE's Trusted Sites, but have the same end result. Any tips? Is it even possible to use external URLs?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:01 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue, the XML files I am using were used in a previous LCS 2005 installation which worked perfectly.

I have found a workaround though, if you add the sites you want to display in the tabs to your "trusted sites" in IE security they now display correctly.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:32 AM