difference between SetTo and assignment (using SetTo in loop)- Iner.NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to infer a weight matrix for a network. Every node's value in time t2 is dependent to it's value in time t1

If I replace SetTo with normal '=', and remove IfNot block, this code works. But I need the If block. Using SetTo, I get this error:

The left-hand side indices (outerRange) do not include the range 'index2', which appears on the right-hand side (perhaps implicitly by an open ForEach block).

It seems I can't use SetTo in a loop for a variable. Then how can I produce this weighted sum (Weighted sum of some values, in which weights are elements of a 2DArray).

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Zahra

* in weight matrix diagonal elements are weights Wii and are used for considering the effect of a node on itself at the next time step.

===============

VariableArray2D<double> w = Variable.Array<double>(outerRange, innerRange).Named("W");

///   here I initialize wij prior distributions.

var beta = Variable.Array<double>(outerRange).Named("beta");
            beta[outerRange] = Variable.GaussianFromMeanAndVariance(1, 0.002).ForEach(outerRange);

using (ForEachBlock firstBlock = Variable.ForEach(outerRange))
                {
                    Variable<double> selfEffect = -(w[outerRange,outerRange] * variableT1[outerRange]);
                    Variable<double> weightSum = Variable.New<double>();
                    using (ForEachBlock secondBlock = Variable.ForEach(innerRange))
                    {
                        var diagonalElement = Variable.Copy(secondBlock.Index == firstBlock.Index);
                        using (Variable.IfNot(diagonalElement))
                        {
                            Console.WriteLine("summing " + outerRange + " + " + innerRange);
                            weightSum.SetTo(weightSum + (w[outerRange, innerRange] * variableT1[innerRange]));                        
                        }                     
                    }
                    Variable<double> othersEffect = beta[outerRange] * Variable.Logistic(weightSum);
                    variableT2[outerRange] = selfEffect + othersEffect;
                }

• Edited by RazinR Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:57 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:32 AM

Answers

• Put the products w[outerRange,innerRange]*variableT1[innerRange] into an array, then apply Variable.Sum to this array. See the Recommender System  example.
    • Marked as answer by RazinR Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:36 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:24 AM
    Owner
  • You're seeing the correct behaviour. If you haven't observed any data, then the marginal over w will be at its prior. This is explained in Running Inference, and especially in the paragraph on the term 'marginal'. You might find reading our User Guide very helpful.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:24 AM

All replies

• Put the products w[outerRange,innerRange]*variableT1[innerRange] into an array, then apply Variable.Sum to this array. See the Recommender System  example.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:24 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you Tom.

This way it works. I can compile and run the model. But after calling engine.infer, w still has the same distribution as what it was initialized to. Why w does not take any effect in this case? I expect distribution of Variables in wij change after calling infer() method. 

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Zahra

• Edited by RazinR Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:00 PM
  • What observed values do you set in the model before inferring the posterior over w?
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Thank you so much for replying :)

Sorry to answer late. I want to observe values for variableT1 and variableT2. Not over w.

By the way, when  I just write the code above - without observing anything - and I run Infer, I get the same posterior over w. I expect to get something different. Because now w is not independent of distributions over varialbeT1 and variableT2.

Why posterior over w is in this case the same as its prior?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:08 PM
  • You're seeing the correct behaviour. If you haven't observed any data, then the marginal over w will be at its prior. This is explained in Running Inference, and especially in the paragraph on the term 'marginal'. You might find reading our User Guide very helpful.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:24 AM
  • Yes now I got it. Thank you Yordan :)
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:37 AM