Adding a SATA Drive as a Backup Drive with a twist RRS feed

• Question

• Does the WHS let you use a internal SATA drive as your backup drive. There is a twist to this so let me explain. I have a PowerEdge server that has a 5 port raid card installed. I am going to use that card as JBOD and build a external rack system that will consist of a SuperMicro Raid Array that will/can house 5 drives. Each of those drives will be connected to the internal card with a sata cable. I had to do this since the server is a 1U rack mount server with no room for additional drives. This will give me the ability to add lot of storage space as I need it.

WHat I would like to do is take drive #5 and make it the backup drive so I can insert it, do the backup and put it into my gun safe when I am done.  Even if I had to reboot the server for the backup (instead of hot swapping that would be OK) Has anyone done this before as I am not 100% sure about the drive system being hot-swapable at this point with WHS. Once I do the first backup and then in a week when I insert it will WHS see it as a backup drive? I know this works with a external USB but I am hoping this scenerio would work???????

Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpfull.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 2:34 PM

All replies

• Yes, you should be able to do that. You may have poor luck with hot swapping, as I've found that Windows doesn't seem to like hot swapping internal drives sometimes (a driver issue, I think). But at worst, shutting down after telling Windows Home Server to temporarily stop using the drive for backups and then removing the drive would work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:48 PM