Live Mesh and System Restore.. a mess? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Due to a failed installation of a Windows Update, I had to use Windows Startup Repair to get my computer back up and running again. During this process, a System Restore was done to revert all changes since the last restore point. The restore point was one week old.

After Windows Startup Repair was done, and the computer restarted, I noticed that the Live Mesh Folders had reverted back to the same date of the System Restore Point. (And the Live Mesh client, that automatically starts, instantly deleted about 900 files from the Live Mesh.) I did find SOME of the files that were deleted from the Mesh were renamed like 've-AE42.tmp' in my machine (couple of hundred of them). 

Luckily, I had one system that was pretty much up-to date, that was turned off. I removed that machine from the mesh to keep it from syncing the deletion, started it up and copied all files from that machine to a safe location.

How can it be that a System Restore, or Windows Startup Repair, deletes files form the Live Mesh Folders? (Btw; all folders were located in the 'My Documents' location of my profile.)

I was really lucky to be able to save almost everything, but the whole experience was rather disturbing...

The machine causing the problem had Windows Vista SP2 x86, Live Mesh 0.9.4014.7

Tino
    MVP

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:02 AM

Answers

• I sure hope that this has been addressed in the next version, but it would be worth submitting a detailed bug report for the problem.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

As I'm sure you are aware, a System Restore should not affect document folders and files, only drivers, programs, and system settings. My guess is that the folder state or catalog for Live Mesh that tracks the status of each folder in your Mesh on that PC was reverted and that caused the actions you observed.

Do note that as a beta, all folders and files that you include in your Mesh should be backed up to a location outside of your Mesh as data loss can certainly happen with a beta service/product.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:15 PM