Upgraded to WHS2011. SBS server no longer Connects... RRS feed

• Question

• Previously we were using WHSv1 with 10 clients added solely for the use of the Network backup system which had been working brilliantly. Upgrade was done to mainly get around some issues with 64bit machines.

Now I find the connector refuses to add the SBS 2011 standard machine, complaining the OS is not supported.

I find this incredulous as it was working fine on version 1. 

Is this a known issue? I have searched far and wide and found no word of it. Does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks. And as the SBS server apparently came pre-installed and did not come with any media it seems my only option is to look at another backup option for the server entirely

any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:57 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server has never supported the backing up of server operating systems, only clients. That you were able, with the V1 connector, to get around this limitation was more or less an oversight on Microsoft's part.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, August 9, 2013 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, August 9, 2013 6:33 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:47 AM
  • "Not supported" means that Microsoft doesn't guarantee that the backups would have worked. That alone would be enough for me to look for alternatives. That said, most likely a restore would have worked, though it's a moot point now.

You may want to look at Windows Server 2012 Essentials rather than any flavor of Windows Home Server, though.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, August 19, 2013 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:27 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server has never supported the backing up of server operating systems, only clients. That you were able, with the V1 connector, to get around this limitation was more or less an oversight on Microsoft's part.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, August 9, 2013 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, August 9, 2013 6:33 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Ok thanks.

I had inherited this from a predecessor and just rolled with it. Does this mean If they had had a failure on the SBS server the image would not have worked?

Were the backups being taken useless?

Monday, August 12, 2013 6:39 AM
  • "Not supported" means that Microsoft doesn't guarantee that the backups would have worked. That alone would be enough for me to look for alternatives. That said, most likely a restore would have worked, though it's a moot point now.

You may want to look at Windows Server 2012 Essentials rather than any flavor of Windows Home Server, though.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, August 19, 2013 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:27 PM