Windows onecare vs security center RRS feed

• Question

• After a problem with XP causing me to have to repair, then reinstall xp2, OneCare stopped functioning. I removed it and reinstalled it, and now am having the following problem:

"At Risk" (urgent) Windows update not turned on. The button (turn it on) does nothing.

The security center, however, says that Windows Update IS turned on.

Sometimes, after looking at the Windows security center, Onecare will recognize that it IS turned on, and stop giving the "at risk" status.

Any ideas?

I assume that some registry bit or other is set incorrectly, but it may be simpler than that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled onecare at least one additional time, no change.

Thanks for any advice.

L. Wells
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• It does seem that a registry setting may be out of whack. I recommend contacting support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:22 AM
  • OneCare required you to have Windows Update set to "Automatically Download" and "Automatically Install" for it to be green.

You may have Windows Update set to "Automatically Download but let me decide when to install", which may make security center show it as turned on, but OneCare will be red.

I hope this helps.

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:28 AM
  • Verify this setting:

1. We need the Security Center Service (WSCSVC) to depend on the OneCare Service (WINSS)

2. Click start and run, please type REGEDIT in the box and click OK.

3. Please locate the Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and look for "wscsvc"

3. Look for DependOnService, double click it and add the line WINSS below the other 2 services.

4. Restart the machine.

This is makes the Security Center Service start only after the OneCare service has finished loading. We will not see the security center warnings again.

I am pretty sure this will fix it.

If not I think you will agree that this fix needs added to the 2.0 release for the novice.

Friday, November 23, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Thanks to all who posted...I guess that I will try to contact support, next.

The setting on Auto Updates is automatic. (not let me decide)

The registry entry suggested has been added. No change. (after reboot)

If anyone else has an idea, I'd be happy to try...... probably won't try to contact support until next week sometime....I have to "steel myself" for a session with the support team.

LRW

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Well geee!

I thought that would have fixed it.

Take "Prt Scr" shots and paste them to a word doc for the support folks.  Then expected 24-48 hours for a response.

Ciao.

Friday, November 23, 2007 10:08 PM