MICROSOFT WGA DO LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen definite improvements in the program and more availability of assistance.

Also, judging by the quality and dept of care and the senior positions of the respondents and useful links and tools addressing these issues, I will withdraw the comment MICROSOFT  NEEDS TO OVERHAUL WGA PROGRAM, with some qualification.

There is no doubt you are listening to legitimate users.
    You have acknowledged there are problems, but you are trying improve.
    It is great to make every one validate before they can get new things like Calculator Plus, an improvement on the old one, but they are only for legitimate users.

I will say the major companies we spoke to rendering WGA support, do NOT understand the issues and options, otherwise they would not tell cusomers to solve the mismatched key problem by inserting the restore CD and starting clean. If they knozw the keys do not always match then they should find out how to get Microsoft validation to accept it a GENUINE with mismatched keys.

That said. the WGA program does tend to affect a percentage of legitimate users. To be frank, you have so few fully paid up users to look after compared to the plethora of pirates who you are going to make money from anyway until the next wave of cracks hits the market.

I hope this post clarifies my emotional response to many futile attempts to get support for our end users.

David, I do not envy you receiving all the enraged attacks you have received over this Of course we would love you visit St: Maarten and our beatiful all year round climate. You will see how WGA has transformed computer dealers into selling OEM Windows. Unfortunately the customters paid except in on case where the client brought the police into the store with him and got a refund as per a local letter to the editor.

Keep up the good work. We will continue to promote original software even of we dont get rich overnight.

Thank you

CDISXM
    Sunday, December 3, 2006 4:49 PM

Answers

• If you have the original COA or OEM label on your PC, then all you need to do is back up your data and do a clean install of the version you had when the computer was new.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2007 8:54 PM

All replies

• Do you know how to find the product key without the CD because my pc was udated from an old friend of mine, who I cannot find anymore, and now I am having these validation problems.

I honestly can not afford to buy the kit but I need my computer. How do I resolve this problem?

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 2:46 PM
  • If you have the original COA or OEM label on your PC, then all you need to do is back up your data and do a clean install of the version you had when the computer was new.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Nova,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, January 13, 2007 8:50 PM
  • you don't listen anybody? you do what you want! i don't like your style at all!

how can i do ANYTHING with my windows me-operating system when it's supporting has been finished last summer?????????

the system is good and working very well. it's rare. it's a strength!!!!!!!!!!

can you hear me???????????

halooooooooooo, this is helena_saukkonen@hotmail.com from finland calling you!!!

you don't offer ANYTHING with xp or vista!!!!!!!!!

i don't like it.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Hi helenas,
    I'm unsure what issues you may be expressing, but nobody is forcing you to upgrade to a newer operating system.

There are a great deal of satisfied Windows 98se and Windows ME users out there who are quite happy with the capabilities of these operating systems and having no problems or difficulties.  You can still use Internet Explorer 6.0, older versions of MS Office (2000 or below) and use many third party security and system tools such as AVG anti-virus, Norton, McAfee or others.  Many newer DirectX games still work as well and media player also works well on this operating system.  I have some older Pentium 2 hardware that still works great with Windows 98se and have no plans to ever upgrade these PC's.  They work and they work good!

Only if you desire greater capabilities, such as more memory support, greater file integrity offered by the NTFS file system or wish to upgrade to more powerful hardware would a migration path be strongly urged due to OS limitations.  In this regard though, if you're happy using Win ME, it's a very strong, robust and trim operating system, which has served millions of users quite well!

Limitation you may feel aren't directly due to a "forced" migration.  It's just that as software becomes larger and more complicated, it requires greater needs on your system.  These limitations were re-worked in the form of NT kernel based operating systems and only if you need these larger scale requirements should you consider upgrading.  Most of the time, even low-end hardware such as 500mhz or greater, 128mb or greater memory will run Upgrade versions of XP Home just as well as Win ME- not to mention be more robust, reliable and secure from new technologies.

Hope this helps!
    Monday, February 5, 2007 8:44 PM
  • The comments regarding Microsoft listening to its customers, was in relation to XP with the WGA technology bolted on to to keep us reporting back that we are using legitimate copies of their programs.

If you wish to stay with Windows Me, then that's your choice, but it has a lot of security flaws and as you said is no longer supported.

But you should not expect Microsoft or anyone else to maintain a support facility for a product that is defunct.

I suggest you run the XP Upgrade advisor located at

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

and see if you your system can support it and whether it is feasible.

Anyway, my comments stand: Microsoft have begun to listen to their XP customers, that is now certain, as they are now only expending money supporting customers who have actually paid them for a product. In the past they were supporting people who had stolen from them.

Hope this helps.

CDISXM

As far as the now unsupported operating systems, there is not much which I agree, are now
    Monday, February 5, 2007 11:00 PM