Errors exist in a client computer backup RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting this critical error message. I can run the repair tool, it completes and everyting looks fine. Then I can run the backups for all the client computers and as soon as it finishes the last one, the critical error notice is back.

I was getting this in the RC as well, when I purchased the program I wiped the server drives first, then did a clean install. All owrked great for a few weeks, then the error message returned.

I have a 1 TB disk that WHS set up as the 100 mb boot, C drive (60 gb) and D drive (871 gb)

I also have a 2 tb disk that is set as the server backup drive by WHS. The backups are scheduled to the defaults.

Monday, July 4, 2011 6:39 PM

All replies

• That you have seen this with multiple installations, and multiple versions of the server software, suggests to me that the issue exists as a result of problems on one or more client computers. Can you run chkdsk /r on each drive in each of your clients, and see if the problem clears up?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, July 15, 2011 7:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, August 12, 2011 12:39 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Sorry I took so long to reply. I wanted to give it some time to make sure your suggestion did the trick. It has been a week and all seems OK. I so appreciate the advice. I would have never guessed to try this. I have no way to tell which client was the culprit since I ran chkdsk /r on all clients at the same time. This solution should be added to the help subjects.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 5:38 PM
  • You cannot vote on your own post Update: I have beeen getting this error again. It started a week ago. I decided to remove all computers but one from the WHS backup. I ran chkdsk /r on the one remaining computer. This took hours as this client is a 2 TB drive. I ran that on the WHS also, both C: and D: where the client backups are stored. The error continued after each repair and subsequent backup.

I finally deleted the client backup database per: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/tr-tr/windowshomeserver2011/delete-client-backup-database-2.aspx

The error was cured for 2 days. Now it is back at 1:12 AM, which is when the automatic backup would have taken place.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Have you done a CHKDSK /R on the server?
    qts
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Thanks for asking, but as I stated in my last post, I ran that on the WHS also, both C: and D: where the client backups are stored.
    I have now once again deleted the client backup database per:http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/tr-tr/windowshomeserver2011/delete-client-backup-database-2.aspx  and it has been 5 days with no error. The last time I ran chkdsk /r I went for a week before the error returned, I hope this time it stays away.  

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:04 PM