Cannot conect to Server for the first time. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the Windows Home Server on the Server that I just created. It looks good and it seems like it installed correctly. Now I installed the "Connector CD" on to one of the computers on my Network.  I ran the connector wizard and it states " cannot find the server". I know that the computer is connected to the internet via Wi-fi network at my house. The newly created Server is connected via an Ethernet Cable. Before yesterday the newly created Server was just my Destop that worked fine and had no problem getting on the internet. Why cant my computer find the server? Is my server not connect to the internet? Or the network? The server was part of the network yesterday (when it was my desktop computer) before I changed it to a server. What should I do?

Chris Mah
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:28 PM

All replies

•  On 6/28/2010 12:28 PM, Chris Mah wrote:

I installed the Windows Home Server on the Server that I just created. It looks good and it seems like it installed correctly. Now I installed the "Connector CD" on to one of the computers on my Network.  I ran the connector wizard and it states " cannot find the server". I know that the computer is connected to the internet via Wi-fi network at my house. The newly created Server is connected via an Ethernet Cable. Before yesterday the newly created Server was just my Destop that worked fine and had no problem getting on the internet. Why cant my computer find the server? Is my server not connect to the internet? Or the network? The server was part of the network yesterday (when it was my desktop computer) before I changed it to a server. What should I do?

Hello Chris,

Since the server was a desktop prior, I would connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to it then reboot. Log in as the Administrator (with the password you created for your server) and open Device Manager.  Verify that your network card installed and has the correct drivers (you may need to download them on another computer and save them to a thumb drive to install them).

While you're in there, I would look to see what other devices aren't installed properly, and try to find drivers for them as well (within reason).  You want Server 2003 drivers or Windows XP drivers (if there aren't any for Server 2003).

Within Reason means this:  Forget the video card, and forget the sound card.  Your server shouldn't have these connected to it, so most likely you won't find drivers for them.  Some other peripherals may not have drivers either, so if it's something you most likely will never use on the server (like a card reader for example), I wouldn't waste time trying to find drivers for them either.

Once you have the network card up and running, you'll want to get all of your Windows Updates (including Power Pack 3).  At that point, the connector CD that came with WHS won't work. This is because the actual connector software will be a higher version.  So, you'll want to go to your server's website and install the connector from there  (for example http://myservername:55000 or https://myservername:56000 will be the location).

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:51 PM