Backup Restore Estimates 24692 days to complete RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to restore a backup over a gigabit ethernet connection.  The restore wizard shows:

Estimated time to complettion: 24692 days, 0 hours and 11 minutes

about two hours ago is was the same number of days and hours, but 12 mintues, about two hours prior to that, it was 13 minutes.  So are hours being counted as minutes?  Is the days count a bug?  When I Remote Desktop into my home server from another PC I can see that there is about 18% network utilization, all out bound, so is it safe to assume the restore is working, but the Wizard's update is just borked?  I'm restoring about 800GB that had been on a 4 disk, 1TB RAID 0+1 to a 4 disk, 1.5TB RAID 5.
    EX470 w/ 2GB RAM and 4x 500GB HDD
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:34 AM

Answers

• Whoo Hoo!  The restore just completed successfully!  I'm now at my old desktop!  Wow, was that a nail biting experience.  I certainly hope my good friends on the WHS team are aware of this issue and have a plan to fix it.  And thank you Mark, had it not been for your input, I very likely would have canceled the restore, doing more harm than good.
    • Marked as answer by JethroXP Monday, October 5, 2009 3:52 AM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:52 AM

All replies

• JethroXP:

The last restore that I did across a 1 GB LAN proceeded at about 2 GB/min. 18% network utilization on a 1 Gbit/s LAN corresponds to about 22.5 MB/sec or about 1.35 GB/min so it sounds about right.

The estimates to completion on most imaging software that I've used are notoriously inaccurate at first, but since your restore has been going on for about 4 hours I would think that the time to completion would have converged to a better estimate by now. You should know in another 2 - 3 hours if things finish up correctly.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Also distressing is that I have the Disk Management window open as well, and it shows 100% free space, even after a refresh.  Something just doesn't smell right about this.  Does it matter at all that I'm trying to restore a 64-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 backup?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Also distressing is that I have the Disk Management window open as well, and it shows 100% free space, even after a refresh.  Something just doesn't smell right about this.  Does it matter at all that I'm trying to restore a 64-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 backup?

Whoa... Disk Management window from where; the client being restored? How are you doing this restore?

You should do this by booting the target PC from the WHS restore CD and restoring the backup on the server across the network to the new array on the target PC.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:04 AM
  • Indeed, disk management on the client being restored.  I had several HDDs go bad, I replaced them, booted from the restore CD, and used the disk manager to format the new HDDs.  Once the format was complete (that took nearly 18 hours) I started the restore.  BTW - the time to complete is now 24692 days, 0 hours, and 10 minutes.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Indeed, disk management on the client being restored.  I had several HDDs go bad, I replaced them, booted from the restore CD, and used the disk manager to format the new HDDs.  Once the format was complete (that took nearly 18 hours) I started the restore.
    So I assume that you are booted from the restore CD and the restore is proceeding, and you have simultaneously opened Disk Management console from the restore environment? I didn't know that you could do that.

It isn't surprising then that you see no progress in Disk Management. The restore process has to lock the volume, so Disk Management can't get status updates.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Phew....good to know, I was very tempted to cancel the restore.  Yeah, the Disk Management app was available from a link in the Restore Wizard, called "Advanced" something or other.  Here are two photos of what I'm seeing:

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt295/JethroXP/WHS_Restore_1.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt295/JethroXP/WHS_Restore_2.jpg

Monday, October 5, 2009 2:19 AM
  • The estimate is now 24692 days, 0 hours, and 9 minutes.  The estimate seems to be dropping by one minute roughly every 90 minutes or so.  Task manager on my WHS shows that network throughput is about 18% (on Gig-E), and the WHSBackup process has read more than 1.1TB of data (though I don't know how much it had already read prior to starting the restore), while using about 5-20% CPU time.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Whoo Hoo!  The restore just completed successfully!  I'm now at my old desktop!  Wow, was that a nail biting experience.  I certainly hope my good friends on the WHS team are aware of this issue and have a plan to fix it.  And thank you Mark, had it not been for your input, I very likely would have canceled the restore, doing more harm than good.
    • Marked as answer by JethroXP Monday, October 5, 2009 3:52 AM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:52 AM
  • JethroXP:

Glad that worked out. The erroneous estimated time display that you saw was either a glitch, or else someone forgot about overflow arithmetic issues on large data sets...
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:05 PM
  • Monday, October 15, 26701 4:04 AM
    Whoo Hoo!  The restore just completed successfully!
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Thank ... Microsoft for the WHS forum.  I too am staring at a message saying my restore will complete in 24692 days and 12 minutes, now reduced to 11 minutes.  I too was on the brink of cancelling the restore.  I am guessing this spurious message is a vestige of 32-bit WHS because these posts are so old.  I have just turned 69 and was not ready to sit here and wait 67 more years for this restore to complete.  My old Pentium III WHS that I purpose built with the exact minimum specs required by WHS back when is still  churning along so I can see something is going on.

I did expect that the console would indicate that a restore was in progress but it does not.  Task manager on the WHS show 50% cpu activity and one of the two NICs maxed out at 100mbs.  The red disk led on my workstation is blinking too.  So I will wait a bit longer.  Interestingly the status bar appears to be fully filled with blue ... so the 67 year estimate at what appears to be end of job is quite perplexing.  I am well aware that coders who generate the completion status bars in programs got their degrees in creative writing so that part of this does not exactly surprise me.

Ahhhh!  The screen just changed and now it says "Restore Successfully Completed". 

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:15 PM