none
Expression Web forum—No thread dropdown expansion; funky editor window—in Firefox only RRS feed

• Question

• I use Firefox as my primary browser. Periodically, for no particular reason, I will lose completely the small arrow (upside-down caret) that is used to dropdown the thread in the main window, like so

When this occurs, I also lose the ability to click in the "vicinity" of the thread title to drop it down. Also at this time, if I click the "Reply" or "Quote" button in a thread, I do not get the usual editor with a formatting toolbar, but a plain text editor with a monospace font that displays HTML, like this:

Note that there is also no "cancel" button, and I have no idea what the "Has Code" checkbox is for. Needless to say, this renders the forum unusable except for read-only. I am an MCC participant in that forum, and this issue hinders my ability to participate at the level I prefer. I like and prefer FF's developer tools, and use them extensively in answering questions in the forum, so using a different browser is not a viable option.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• I know what you mean about FF developer tools. Try cleaning the cache/history, force a refresh of the page. Sometimes not all the scripts are there and this might happen.  Let me know if that helps. We have an update on 4/5 going out with some editor fixes, that might help also.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Well, it worked this time (I got the Reply editor shown above initially when replying to this), but that's a rather draconian "fix," blowing away all my active logins (I had to log back in here to post this reply) and other stored information that makes browsing more convenient. I'm sorry, but I really don't see that as a fix.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Well, it worked this time (I got the Reply editor shown above initially when replying to this), but that's a rather draconian "fix," blowing away all my active logins (I had to log back in here to post this reply) and other stored information that makes browsing more convenient. I'm sorry, but I really don't see that as a fix.

cheers,
    scott

It's a workaround (not a fix). As Brent mentioned, a possible fix is being worked on.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:01 AM
    Owner
  • Brent's "answer" was no such thing! It was, as Ed later amplified, a workaround, at best. The price to be paid—re-entering all of my saved passwords, form data, etc., that got blown away, just for a one-time(!) alleviation of the problem, was nowhere near acceptable, not as a fix, and certainly not as a workaround!

Furthermore, the supposed "fix" that was to be issued on the 5th seems to have worked, after a fashion. I haven't lately gotten the oddball editor, or the missing inline expansion caret. OTOH, now, when I finish editing a post and click "Submit," nothing happens. No submission, no error message, just... nothing.

Quite a fix, eh?

Not answered.

Initially, I composed this in Firefox, since it is my default Web browser, and launched the page when I clicked the link in the forum "alert" email I received today. Due to the issue described above, when I got to this point and clicked "Submit" in FF, this is what I got:

Note the status line message indicated by the red arrow. That is as far as the submission process gets. I took this screen grab, then copied the post (minus the image above and this section, obviously ;-), and pasted it into a new post in Google Chrome, where I knew I could successfully submit it. I just checked, and the post is still sitting there in FF, in stasis, no further along than before.  :-(

Given that the forum is aimed at Web developers, and that Firefox is arguably the favorite browser among Web developers, this situation is unacceptable. Can you not do anything about it?

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:05 PM
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:53 AM
  • Brent, do we have a bug on this?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:18 PM
    Owner
  • I sent this issue on to our product team.

Thanks!

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:39 PM
    Owner
  • We did have a few bugs specific to firefox that we resolved last release. I can't repro the above problems with Firefox 12.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, I've only moved all the way to v.12 recently, but I can assure you that there are still issues with that version. Here is a short video I made tonight illustrating one of the problems I'm encountering with FF12. There's at least one more (so far), but it (clicking "Submit" evokes a blank error dialog instead; can only cancel out) hasn't recurred since my first encounter of it earlier today. When I can repro it again, I'll send you another link to show it in action. This is happening on a plain vanilla stock Toshiba Satellite L755 running Win7HPx64, fully updated.

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:48 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Seems i am having a similar issue with FF( posting with I.E now)

See; http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/reportabug/thread/04353024-a6bd-4a00-96c4-a706c6ae24ac

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Thanks for posting, Ubin. Yes, that is exactly the same thing I am experiencing, and had mentioned above, but had not had another opportunity to capture at the time of that post. Note that, so far, that one only happens when I've succeeded in getting a "normal" editor, and everything seems to be copacetic, right up until clicking "Submit," when I get that oh-so-informative empty error dialog, and the submission fails.

At least it doesn't 86 the post's text, so I can open IE, then copy/paste it into IE, then submit it, an entirely unsatisfactory workaround... :-(

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Brent, do we have a bug on this issue now?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:19 PM
    Owner
  • I'll ping Brent and get back to you.

Thanks!

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:17 AM
    Owner
  • Hey, are you still experiencing this? We had some Firefox fixes go through, so this might be fixed.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:26 PM
    Owner
  • This answer your question?

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, June 9, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Not directly, no. =^)

So when you click Submit (using FF12), your entire browser gets dark except for the blank error message? And how often does it happen? Obviously not every time, or you wouldn't be able to post here.

Thanks!

Saturday, June 9, 2012 3:34 AM
    Owner
  • Given that a simple "yes" would have answered the question, directly, that I posted a screen shot showing that it had just happened should have sufficed, as well. ;-)

Yes, what is shown in that image is what happens, every time it does happen. No, it does not happen all the time, although since it happens only in FF—both 12 and 3.6.23—I could easily post here using any of the others that I have installed here for testing purposes. It does happen often enough to be irritating, because it entails opening the forum in another browser, locating the thread, opening a reply post, and copying and pasting my reply from one browser to the other. In other words, it's a pain in the ass, and not the way a forum should work.

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, June 10, 2012 3:07 AM
  • But your other browser seems to work 100% of the time? Is it IE or Chrome? I assume it's not Safari, because I think Firefox is better off than Safari. As I mentioned, we released a recent pass on Firefox compatibility and fixed many issues.

And about how often does this error come up? About 5% of the time? And I assume it's a risk only each time you click "Submit" (and not when editing a previous reply or when creating a new thread), right?

Is anyone else experiencing this one?

Thanks!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:07 PM
    Owner
  • Okay, I submitted this specific case (which seems to have morphed from the top issue) to the team as a bug request. Answering my last few questions (% of occurance, other browsers you use, only on "Submit" and not editing or creating a new thread, etc.) will help define the bug better.

Thanks!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:14 PM
    Owner
  • But your other browser seems to work 100% of the time? Is it IE or Chrome? I assume it's not Safari, because I think Firefox is better off than Safari. As I mentioned, we released a recent pass on Firefox compatibility and fixed many issues.

And about how often does this error come up? About 5% of the time? And I assume it's a risk only each time you click "Submit" (and not when editing a previous reply or when creating a new thread), right?

Thanks!

OK, got an update. Started getting this tonight in Google Chrome:

And just for good measure, I started getting the funky toolbarless editor tonight in Safari:

And, for tonight, FF is now consistently throwing up that same dialog shown above, gray and white, only now with "Unexpected Error" centered vertically and horizontally in the white area.

Oh, and just for good measure, when I try to reply to a post in IE9, it kicks me into "Edit My Profile"(??), where I click save, then it takes me back to the forum, then I click Reply, then back to the Edit Profile, then... well, you get the idea.

You know, I put a lot of time into contributing to this forum, and I'm getting pretty damned weary of having to fight so damned hard just to use the bloody thing!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:09 AM

Thanks!

OK, got an update. Started getting this tonight in Google Chrome:

And just for good measure, I started getting the funky toolbarless editor tonight in Safari:

And, for tonight, FF is now consistently throwing up that same dialog shown above, gray and white, only now with "Unexpected Error" centered vertically and horizontally in the white area.

Oh, and just for good measure, when I try to reply to a post in IE9, it kicks me into "Edit My Profile"(??), where I click save, then it takes me back to the forum, then I click Reply, then back to the Edit Profile, then... well, you get the idea.

You know, I put a lot of time into contributing to this forum, and I'm getting pretty damned weary of having to fight so damned hard just to use the bloody thing!
    =================

*** I wrote the preceding last night, but was unable to post it because of the "Unexpected Error" issue, so I'm posting it now. I'm tired of this crap, and getting pretty disgusted with the whole thing. When are you going to give up on the whole "eat your own dog food" idea and just adopt a working, stable forum software from a third-party?

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:25 AM
  • FWIW, the empty error dialog is back in FF12. The other night, it was populated, like the one in Chrome, with "Unexpected Error" centered vertically and horizontally in the upper, white area. Tonight it's back to this, sans text:

Just in case the change is significant for some reason...

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:46 AM
  • I just came across the screen shot I took the night of the 13th, when FF was throwing up the error dialog populated with the "Unexpected Error" text (it was one folder above the one I've been saving them in). Here it is:

Now, I don't know what happened to the forum between when that one was taken, the 13th, and the blank one was taken, the 16th, or if the change even has any significance to the forum issue(s) at hand, but there you are, FWIW.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Whoa! I just noticed something that may have some significance(??). Apparently, when I got the "Unexpected Error" dialog on the 13th, the message did in fact post, but because I just left the dialog up, when I came back the next day, then clicked OK to dismiss the dialog, then added a paragraph at the bottom and posted it, whereupon the message posted normally.

So, there are two seemingly identical posts on the 13th and 14th, except the second has the extra paragraph. I have no idea whether that means anything in the scheme of things tracking down what is going on...

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Okay, I submitted this specific case (which seems to have morphed from the top issue) to the team as a bug request. Answering my last few questions (% of occurance, other browsers you use, only on "Submit" and not editing or creating a new thread, etc.) will help define the bug better.

Thanks!

Well, it is not resolved, and in fact seems to have "morphed" back into the top issue, as tonight I just now (again) got the funky, "toolbarless" editor, with no formatting controls, edit HTML, insert image, create hyperlink, etc. and with what appears to be a monospace font. It's different this time, in that I do have a cancel button, and I have no idea what that means. Here's what it looks like:

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:20 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:18 AM
  • HI Paladyn !

I always use FireFox as my default browser and luckily i haven't faced this issue. The current version for Fir efox is 13.0.1 Kindly upgrade your browser and let us know if the issue still persists. Also try clearing "Ctrl + F5" to refresh your cache but it won't delete your save passwords anyways.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Friday, July 6, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Here is my current version (I have Firefox set to permit automatic upgrades)

FWIW, the same thing (chromeless editor) happened to me again last night. I had not received this message at the time, so I didn't try "Ctrl + F5" clearing the cache, but I will next time, then report here with the results.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Well, it's still acting up. Tonight I got the effing blank error dialog AGAIN! Here's the screenshot:

I included the system clock so you could see that it is in fact contemporary. Furthermore, at your suggestion, I tried the "Ctrl-F5" to clear the cache. Effing lovely! You forgot to mention that would also blow away the extensive, detailed reply I had just spent 25 minutes composing! Probably should have known it, since that's just a "forced refresh" command, but I was thinking of it as "refresh cache" until afterward, and I wasn't thinking of it as a page refresh. I didn't know that a plain forced refresh would also clear the cache. I'd never heard of that before. Anyway, since that blows away the damned post anyway, how in bloody blazes am I supposed to use that to resolve an FF reply submission issue when it arises?! Copy and paste the post into another editor, then use Ctrl-F5 (if that even works—who knows, at this point?) to make the Submit button work as it should, then start a new Reply and paste the post back into it, then pray to the gods that the effing Submit button works this time? How is that better than my current solution, which is to simply copy the post and paste it into a forum instance in Chrome?

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Hi Paladyn !

Really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you by doing "Ctrl + F5". I should have written it earlier to just copy your reply before hitting that. I usually have this habit to copy my reply before submitting it, so if anything goes wrong i can still have it back.

So what you might do is write your reply in browser reply window, copy it before pressing the "Submit" button as precautionary and hit "Submit" button, if anything goes wrong or your get that "Blank Alert" just do forced cache refresh using "Ctrl + F5", you have to again press the "Reply" button and paste your previously written reply and "Submit" it and you won't encounter problem this time.

I know this is very bad workaround but the issue here is with Firefox, sometimes it just not catches the "Submit" button event correctly. Hopefully Ed Price and other Microsoft people will work on this in future release.

Please let me know in case of any concern.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Hasham. Yeah, like I said, as long as I've been doing this, I probably should have recognized that Ctrl-F5 as a forced refresh, but I was so ticked at facing this issue yet again, and when I referred back to your post, was thinking only in terms of "refresh cache," that I only realized, literally at the very moment that I pressed the keystroke combo, what I was about to do, which, of course, was several milliseconds too late.

Anyway, I'll use the procedure you describe the next time it happens, mainly just to see if it works. Since I typically have instances of all five major browsers open (for testing with Preview In Browser while developing), it's just as fast, or faster, to simply copy from FF and paste into one of the others to Submit when this happens.

cheers,
    scott

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Well, it's still ongoing...

I got the blank dialog again tonight. Here's the screen shot:

So, I tried the Ctrl-F5 suggestion, with interesting results—I was immediately taken to the sign-in page at https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&wtrealm=social.expression.microsoft.com&wreply=https%3a%2f%2fsocial.expression.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2fweb%2fthreads%3fstoAI%3d10&wp=MBI_FED_SSL&wlcxt=microsoft%24microsoft%24microsoft, with my username (email) already filled in, a "Retype your password" in green lettering above the login fields(??), like this:

I have no idea what that signifies, but maybe that will give you guys a clue...

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Just an update—still going strong, er... so to speak:

Look, I'm getting tired of filling up my images folder, and updating this thread, so unless you hear otherwise, just presume that the problem is ongoing. I've got this thread alerted, so if you try a fix, just post to the thread and I'll let you know if it worked, OK?

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Resubmitted my bug request.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:37 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks. As I said in my previous message, I'm not posting updates every time it happens anymore, but I just got the "empty error dialog" symptom again yesterday, and the "toolbarless editor" on Monday, IIRC. Firefox 14.0.1. Life goes on... ;-)

<edit>

I said that I wasn't going to do this any more, but the timing is just too apropos, so here ya go...

So, yeah, still happening...
    </edit>

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Friday, August 17, 2012 1:25 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:04 PM
  • I have confirmed with the forum team that this is definitely logged as a bug and will be evaluated with the other bugs. Thanks!

Friday, August 17, 2012 10:22 PM
    Owner