none
Online Proctored Exam Delivery

Question

• Hi,

I checked the mcp.microsoft.com site after a long time again and found a link regarding starting an online exam.

Some research brought be to the Microsoft Online Proctored Exam Delivery and wanted to ask if you made any experience with that.

What I read sounds quite nice because broke a leg and found a lot of time to read in the last days. Such an exam might be a nice thing - going to a training center is something that I couldn't do right now.

Would be nice to hear your experience if you did such an online exam in the past.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Edit: fixed some spelling and bad wording ...

Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:01 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• Hi, Konrad.

I have taken an online Microsoft certification exam at home. I found it to be kind of a hassle but could definitely the see the value for those who lives several miles from a testing center or for those in a situation like yours.

Here's what I experienced.

• First off, I made sure I had a really clear desk with no papers, books, or anything else on it.
    • I had to use a laptop with a camera on it.
    • I had to install the special software - no big deal.
    • I have my own web/email server at home with its monitor on my desk. I had to turn it to face away from me for the test.
    • I had a stack of pens/pencils on the side of my desk. The proctor told me to move all of them off the desk.
    • I had a whiteboard on one wall. The proctor made me get up and pan the camera to the whiteboard and make sure I didn't have any notes on it. I did have some writing on it but it was unrelated.
    • I was able to see some of the drag/drop questions easier because I have better screen resolution than my local test center; that was cool!
    • The performance of the exam and experience was just fine (maybe a little faster) than the crappy machines at the test center.
    • I thought it would be smart to wear headphones when talking to the proctor but I was wrong. They need your picture without the headphones. Don't bother with headphones at all. Just use your laptop's built-in microphone and speakers. Test all this in the Sounds section of your Control Panel before starting the exam process.
    • It was a real pain to take a picture of my driver's license clearly. It took multiple attempts to get a clear shot.
    • I had to also offer a picture of a second ID, such as a credit card. I wasn't fond of that.
    • I had to make sure I was alone in the room with the door closed for the entire exam. At home, I had to set some clear rules with my family about this.
    • I used a laptop to take the exam. I also wanted to make sure I maintained a solid connection with the test site so I used a wired Internet connection (not wireless) to my router.
    • I also stayed connected to my laptop's power supply because I didn't want anything to fail. The problem is that with all these cables connected, it was a real pain to pan all four walls and the floor for the proctor with all these attached cords. Konrad - I can see this camera panning process being a bit of a nuisance for you if you have a broken leg. Especially if you have to stand up and walk around the room.
    • Use a small laptop with a great screen resolution so it is easy to pan the room with the camera yet you can see the exam questions clearly.
    • My live picture of my face was at the top of the screen for the duration of the exam. Seemed a little weird.
    • When I finished the exam, no one said anything. You simply disconnect. Were they even there to the end?

I suspect that as someone takes more exams remotely, it becomes easier to do all the setup.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:34 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi, Konrad.

I have taken an online Microsoft certification exam at home. I found it to be kind of a hassle but could definitely the see the value for those who lives several miles from a testing center or for those in a situation like yours.

Here's what I experienced.

• First off, I made sure I had a really clear desk with no papers, books, or anything else on it.
    • I had to use a laptop with a camera on it.
    • I had to install the special software - no big deal.
    • I have my own web/email server at home with its monitor on my desk. I had to turn it to face away from me for the test.
    • I had a stack of pens/pencils on the side of my desk. The proctor told me to move all of them off the desk.
    • I had a whiteboard on one wall. The proctor made me get up and pan the camera to the whiteboard and make sure I didn't have any notes on it. I did have some writing on it but it was unrelated.
    • I was able to see some of the drag/drop questions easier because I have better screen resolution than my local test center; that was cool!
    • The performance of the exam and experience was just fine (maybe a little faster) than the crappy machines at the test center.
    • I thought it would be smart to wear headphones when talking to the proctor but I was wrong. They need your picture without the headphones. Don't bother with headphones at all. Just use your laptop's built-in microphone and speakers. Test all this in the Sounds section of your Control Panel before starting the exam process.
    • It was a real pain to take a picture of my driver's license clearly. It took multiple attempts to get a clear shot.
    • I had to also offer a picture of a second ID, such as a credit card. I wasn't fond of that.
    • I had to make sure I was alone in the room with the door closed for the entire exam. At home, I had to set some clear rules with my family about this.
    • I used a laptop to take the exam. I also wanted to make sure I maintained a solid connection with the test site so I used a wired Internet connection (not wireless) to my router.
    • I also stayed connected to my laptop's power supply because I didn't want anything to fail. The problem is that with all these cables connected, it was a real pain to pan all four walls and the floor for the proctor with all these attached cords. Konrad - I can see this camera panning process being a bit of a nuisance for you if you have a broken leg. Especially if you have to stand up and walk around the room.
    • Use a small laptop with a great screen resolution so it is easy to pan the room with the camera yet you can see the exam questions clearly.
    • My live picture of my face was at the top of the screen for the duration of the exam. Seemed a little weird.
    • When I finished the exam, no one said anything. You simply disconnect. Were they even there to the end?

I suspect that as someone takes more exams remotely, it becomes easier to do all the setup.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Davin,

thank you very much for your great feedback. It was really useful and I will make sure that I will be able to stand without walker / crutch so that I can show the room around me without problems.

I will mark your reply as answer in a few days in the hope that there might be more feedback of other users, too. 

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:39 PM
    Answerer