Should Cannot connect to Circle show Red? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I just re-installed OneCare 2.0 and received a "cannot connect to circle" error message, as well as a Red indicator in the taskbar.

I agree with Steve Boots that this appears to be server side related, and at some point, I don't think that any web services system should be designed without allowing for some technical glitches on the server end.  Hopefully they don't happen often, or for long periods of time, but it's almost inevitable that they will, at some point.

So here's my problem/suggestion for how this could be better handled

• Identify the problem more transparently "OneCare is unable to connect with LiveID at this time"
    • Throw a yellow flag and not a red one.  This is mainly because a red flag requires action, and there is no action available.
    • Offer some assurances that OneCare itself is still functioning correctly.  "Your system is still protected, however you may not be able to manage multiple computers or manage printer functions".  A red flag, again, means "omg I'm not protected"

I'm working on filing a bug on this, I seem to be having a bit of a problem logging in with my OC 2.0 test account, so for now I'm posting here.

Thanks.

kip

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:28 PM

All replies

• Thanks very much for the post and the bug report.

I particularly agree with your 3 bullet points. I am still pretty certain it is a LiveID issue or a server issue, but it is clear that if this is true, OneCare isn't handling the condition at all and defaults to red. Some actions return an "unknown error" which leads me to believe that there is no translation for the condition within OneCare.

I do hope that the developers take your suggestions very seriously as they are completely valid in this scenario. In fact, for *any* situation where the hub can't get any updates from a monitored PC, I don't think it should be Red on the Hub. Yellow is entirely more appropriate and I'd even like the option to *ignore* the issue - particularly if I know that the monitored PC is off-line and will not be back online for a bit. (Kind of like the Windows Home Server option to ignore a disk addition to a client PC - status yellow for WHS until you tell it to ignore the warning to modify the backup plan to account for the new drive...)

-steve

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. This is a bug at our end and we are working on changing the action in this case to a) not be red b) have better text so the communication about what's wrong is clear.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Thanks Mona,

Just to let you know, although the problem surfaced (I think) on Sunday, and continued all through Monday and

Tuesday, and Wednesday, as of about noon (possibly earlier) today (Thursday 8/30), the issue seems to be resolved, and I am all green again and able to view my circle and access the printer.

kip

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:04 PM
  • excellent! Earlier today we reset some of the services on the Onecare servers to resolve the issue - good to know that it worked.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:32 PM
  • Glad to hear this will no longer be a code Red.  Actually, I'm not even sure it needs to be a code Yellow.  This "problem" will happen a lot for my circle, just because those other PCs won't always be on.  I don't care to be informed that they're not on.  It's not a security problem for either my PC or those other PCs.

One of the great things about OneCare that makes it much better than something like Norton is how wonderfully unobtrusive it is.  It just quietly works in the background and doesn't come forward unless absolutely necessary.  I think even a code Yellow for this problem would harm OneCare's unobtrusive quality, and it would raise a lot of unnecessary questions and concerns for users.

Monday, September 3, 2007 7:08 PM