Windows XP Validation key problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I originally installed Windows XP on my computer a few years ago. I have to reinstall Windows now but I am hesitant about doing so because I can't find the paperwork which contained my XP Home COA registration key. I was wondering if there was a way to recover this key directly from my computer? My PC lists a registration number under the System Properties General tab but I don't believe this is the key as it is only 20 numerical digits long instead of the 25(which I believe the offical key contains). I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you very much,

James

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hello James,

Thank you for your post. There is nothing you can see directly to get your product key from the machine. There are however, 3rd party applications available that would be able to do this. We are unable to recommend any of them since it would be against our policy. A well phrased search in your favorite search engine should provide you the applet you are looking for.

If you need more info let us know.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hello James,

Thank you for your post. There is nothing you can see directly to get your product key from the machine. There are however, 3rd party applications available that would be able to do this. We are unable to recommend any of them since it would be against our policy. A well phrased search in your favorite search engine should provide you the applet you are looking for.

If you need more info let us know.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:00 PM
  • I purchased an upgrade for my computer (Windows XP) and had to reinstall my software due t a crash.  Everything reinstalled fine but it won't accept my product key.  I called and spoke with a representative who told me that my letters needed to be entered in lower case.  He also told me that the number is invalid.  I don't know why, it's a legitimate copy. So I couldn't get it registered over the phone.

There should be some way that you don't have to go through this whenever the machine crashes.  What can I do other than purchase another XP program that I can't afford!?

Monday, October 22, 2007 5:46 AM
  • Hello Somebodysmom,

Will you run the MGA diagnostic test and post your results? This will help us to analyze your situation and provide you with a resolution. Where did you purchase your upgrade? What version of windows did you have previously and did it come preinstalled on your system?

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 22, 2007 6:22 PM