Why does wmiprvse.exe require access to the internet? RRS feed

• General discussion

• My Firewall pops up to tell me that programme wmiprvse.exe is asking for access to the internet?  Why does this occur and what does it mean? 

I am denying access to the requests received until I understand why it's asking for it.  This is something which started to occur recently.

I have spent hours trawling through information about what thsi programme is but a lot of the explanations are gobbledygook and are not written in plain non technical speak.

Some say this is a viral programme but I don't think it is.  It's located in the c drive in System 32 file as it should be.

My firewall and virus software has not detected any virus.  My operating system is Windows XP Home and is up to date.

Please can anybody help?

Thank you.

ps: I forgot to mention the version of wmiprvse.exe  is 5.1.2600.5755 xp -  SP3 - gdr
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:02 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:11 PM Off topic. (From:Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats)
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:54 PM

All replies

• The forum you posted to is for the discussion of Microsoft Security Essentials beta. wmiprvse.exe is the Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service and if located in the System 32 folder is benign and if found elsewhere is usually a virus or trojan. More information on wmiprvse.exe - http://www.agecon.msstate.edu/helpsite/FAQ/hacking/wmiprvse_exe-Windows_process-What_is_it.htm
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Thanks for that Jim.  The choice of drop downs didn't really suit any of the fields to put this question in.  Where should it go to so I know for next time. I'm new and this is my first question.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:43 AM
  • I suggest the Windows XP newsgroups - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:57 AM