All Client Backups Fail.. Error Backup job 8 on ANIMALHOUSE did not succeed. Reason: ConnectionLost, System.String[] RRS feed

• Question

• So I just installed WHS 2011, upgrading from WHS V1.

So I have never been able to get a client computer to back up.. And when it fails it usually messes up the backup database.. I did not see any real errors in the logs server computer, but both client computers do have events under windows server. 2 of them always show up.

Backup of volume C: to ANIMALHOUSE did not succeed. Reason: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ProtocolException: ConnectionLostSystem.String[]
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupUtil.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(PCBackupVolumePhase phase)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

XML VIEW

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Windows Server" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="53247">517</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>2</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-31T10:30:25.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>73</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>WSSG</Channel>
    <Computer>Katzen</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>8</Data>
    <Data>C:</Data>
    <Data>ANIMALHOUSE</Data>
    <Data>Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ProtocolException: ConnectionLostSystem.String[] at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration) at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect() at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte() at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupUtil.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong() at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse() at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(PCBackupVolumePhase phase) at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch() at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Then

Backup job 8 on ANIMALHOUSE did not succeed.  Reason: ConnectionLost, System.String[]

XMLVIEW

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Windows Server" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="53247">514</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>2</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-31T10:30:25.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>74</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>WSSG</Channel>
    <Computer>Katzen</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>8</Data>
    <Data>ANIMALHOUSE</Data>
    <Data>ConnectionLost, System.String[]</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    I am out of ideas.. Any help would be great. I really don't want to go back to V1

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:31 PM

All replies

• I had a similar 'connection lost' backup fail issue on some of my LAN clients.  My problem turned out to be an intermittantly defective switch (the power cube was flaky) in the LAN wiring scheme. 

The problem was difficult to spot as the LAN would appear to work correctly when manually accessing clients.  Only identified the problem for sure when the switch finally totally failed.  With a new switch, no more WHS 'lost connection' backup failures.  I would suggest you slectively swap out any active components in your LAN setup and verify your cableing either by test or substitution. 

...JJC...
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Yea... I thought about this.. I replaced the NIC card.. swapped out all the wires, tried different routers, put the computers next to each other as the only 2 devices on the router.. Still fails. Best part is, for a day somehow the backups worked, then once they started to fail again they corrupted the backup database.. 

I ask again if anyone has any other ideas.. If I can't get this in the next week, I will probably just upgrade to WHS V1. Not sure what else I can do..

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:29 PM