MCSD or MCTS or MCPD Please?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I currently work as a data analyst in UK using MS Office with VBA and really want to get into a proper developer role. I have completed and achieved very good grades in Open University courses in OO Design and Java and am confident I understand OO programming and that I would pick up C# and the .net framework easily and quickly.

I am struggling getting into a role though so my question is this: I have been thinking about completing either MCSD C# or the newer MCTS/MCPD course/s, so which would be the best way to go? Also, is it likely that completing this course will give me good opportunities to break into a software developer role?

Many thanks for any help.

S Barker
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:28 PM

Answers

• I think as others have said, in the world of certifications, newer tends to carry more value than older, especially if you're going to go after jobs that require you to have expertise on the newest set of technolgies.

that said, my advice is always: study what you intend to use. If you're going to be supporting or developing on older versions of our tools and platform, then go for the credential that best addresses it.

Ken Rosen
    Lead Community and Evangelism Manager
    Microsoft Learning
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:09 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Looking around what is being asked for in job offers here in NL, .NET Framework knowledge
    is a skill much in demand for Windows developers, so I would go for a MCTS or even better a
    MCPD that shows .NET skills

Rob Hagman.
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 3:20 PM
  • MCSD is deprecated.

i recommned the TS/PD, possibily specializing in Framework.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:03 PM
  • I think as others have said, in the world of certifications, newer tends to carry more value than older, especially if you're going to go after jobs that require you to have expertise on the newest set of technolgies.

that said, my advice is always: study what you intend to use. If you're going to be supporting or developing on older versions of our tools and platform, then go for the credential that best addresses it.

Ken Rosen
    Lead Community and Evangelism Manager
    Microsoft Learning
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:09 AM
  • hi i am preparing for MCSD certifications using shoptests.com study guides
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:26 AM