none
Recent "Unexpected Error" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm reposting this, since I originally posted this problem this morning by replying to an old thread that had already been marked as Answered. I know that many people will skip the Answered threads, so many of you may not have read this yet.

I've been getting the "Unexpected Error" since Saturday ... both when trying to reply to an existing post or trying to create a new post. I am wondering if it's got something to do with last week's (or the week before) Windows Updates? I applied the Updates on Friday (the 11th).

The reason I suspect the Updates is because I've addressed the other possible reasons that I've heard could cause problems ... specifically, removing all cookies. I also tried running IE without any plug-ins thinking the might have something to do with me recently installing Chrome Frame. I also uninstalled Chrome Frame. I've rebooted numerous times. Still no joy ...

I am running XP (SP3) and IE 8.

The only reason I can post this now without getting the "Unexpected Error" is because I'm using a different computer that does NOT have the latest Windows Updates applied. The two computers aren't identical, but both are running the same versions of XP and IE.

Any ideas, suggestions or known problems with the last 2 "sets" of Windows Updates?

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:50 AM

Answers

• I have a feeling that many underlying reasons can be behind this "unexpected error". Below is what I posted in a different thread here, and I have a feeling that my errors do not match the reasons you get them.

Perhaps the real errors should Surface and not as now be hidden behind a generic "unexpected error" message?!

Here is what I posted in a different thread:

"FWIW, I get this pretty frequently.

My former setup was Win 7 with OE 9.

I now have Win 8 with OE 10.

Sometimes when it happens (happened) I can try again and after a few  retries I manage to post. But most often I have to close the tab,  open a new and paste the text I copied from the first post. Very  annoying. So it seems there are (has been two issues.

1) The one where repost is OK, and I haven't seen that for a while,  and when that happened (a couple of months ago, perhaps), the whole  site was very slow.

2) Where repost isn't OK and you have to open a new tab. This has  been going on for me for at least a year, probably more. This is  still occuring, I had this as recently as yesterday. Some Groups  seems to be hit harder by this. The SQL Server "SQL Server Database Engine" Group is very frequent  for me."

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:58 PM

All replies

• I am having the same issue during the last few days. I am using W7 Enterprise with IE8.

I installed Google Chrome and I can do my work on the MSDN forums with no problem, but honestly this is a shame (sorry for the comment though).

AMB

Some guidelines for posting questions...

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:44 PM
  • So you've tried this with different browsers? (Firefox, Chrome,...)

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:47 PM
  • I have a feeling that many underlying reasons can be behind this "unexpected error". Below is what I posted in a different thread here, and I have a feeling that my errors do not match the reasons you get them.

Perhaps the real errors should Surface and not as now be hidden behind a generic "unexpected error" message?!

Here is what I posted in a different thread:

"FWIW, I get this pretty frequently.

My former setup was Win 7 with OE 9.

I now have Win 8 with OE 10.

Sometimes when it happens (happened) I can try again and after a few  retries I manage to post. But most often I have to close the tab,  open a new and paste the text I copied from the first post. Very  annoying. So it seems there are (has been two issues.

1) The one where repost is OK, and I haven't seen that for a while,  and when that happened (a couple of months ago, perhaps), the whole  site was very slow.

2) Where repost isn't OK and you have to open a new tab. This has  been going on for me for at least a year, probably more. This is  still occuring, I had this as recently as yesterday. Some Groups  seems to be hit harder by this. The SQL Server "SQL Server Database Engine" Group is very frequent  for me."

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:58 PM
  • No, I haven't got any other browsers installed, I only use IE. I shouldn't have to anyway ... Microsoft forums should work correctly with Microsoft browsers, don't ya think? ;0)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Tibor, in the past I used to get the occasional Unexpected Error ... but usually trying again once or twice solved the problem. Not this time ... I can retry it all day and it won't matter. Neither will opening in another tab. I simply cannot post or reply to anything, no matter what I do.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:13 PM
  • I can retry it all day and it won't matter.  

Me too and it is mystifying.   I suspect it means that I am connected to a particular server but these forums don't give us any clue about which server we are connected with--unlike Answers where we can use View Source or Developer Tools to see the server name embedded as a comment in the HTML.

Neither will opening in another tab.

The only time that workaround didn't work for me (eventually) I found that I had to recompose something that probably had imperfectly nested tags (e.g. after copy and paste from other HTML).   I think that was on Answers though, where we don't have an HTML source edit feature.   Here on the Microsoft brand forums (and on the other brands), we have an HTML source edit feature so avoiding such a cause is a lot easier.

There is more than one cause to these common symptoms and we are not getting good enough diagnostics to help identify them when they happen.   With IE9 and IE10 I always start the Network Capture tool after the first occurrence.  If you wanted to do the same sort of thing with IE8 you would have to use Fiddler2.   There is also a Fiddler4 now but I'm not sure if it applies to XP.   It was created mostly for W8 Metro users I think.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:08 PM
  • No, I haven't got any other browsers installed, I only use IE. I shouldn't have to anyway ... Microsoft forums should work correctly with Microsoft browsers, don't ya think? ;0)

Ha! You'd think. It's a little more complicated than that though, because IE is so complicated. Plus add in an Update to Windows XP, maybe an odd cookie, and then boom, you've got some sort of problem that might be unique to your system. Trying a different browser tells us whether or not IE is part of the problem.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:51 PM
    Owner
  • Everyone having this problem reported it with IE. Alejandro switched to Google Chrome and doesn't have that problem anymore. So, we can be sure that this problem is indeed with IE. It also seems to be across multiple OS as we can see in this thread people with XP, Win 7 and Win 8.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Test ... posting from Chrome instead of IE.

And Chrome works. IE still doesn't ... weird!!

• Edited by BonnieBMVP Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:52 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:48 AM
  • I reported this as a bug, just to get a status on it. So many people are having this problem.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:17 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, after the post by Bryant Hawthorne in the other thread (that a fix had been deployed), I've not had any problems. It fixed it for me!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:50 AM
  • But broken now for me in Google Chrome :) You can not have it both ways, apparently :)

My blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Works for me still in Chrome. Very strange ....

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:27 PM
  • I changed the link to technet instead of MSDN and finally was able to sign in correctly using Chrome. Replying from Chrome now.

My blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:56 PM