OCS & Nortel PCA RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to install Nortel CS1000E ver5.0 and OCS2007 for a company which is planning to have free-address zones

for some departments. They are going to put a few IP Phones only in each zone. Employees are going to install communicator on their Lap-top PC. There is an issue of office main number and dept main number for the employees to pick-up or to receive on their communicator.

I supporse communicator is basically to receive from DID calls or extension calls from other emplyees, which means each communicator has only one extension number.

Communicator also doesn't have pick-up function to pick up calls ringing on Nortel IP Phones

However, customer wants to pick up the call to the office main number or the dept main number ringing on the Nortel IP Phones.

My question is Nortel can pass the call to the main numbers to Office communicator by PCA or MARP?

or by input of 2 different Line URIs in Active directory? or by additional configuration of OCS application proxy or MCM?

They are going to have RCC.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

Ymori

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:12 AM

All replies

• Not sure about all the stuff you put in there, but RCC is a 1:1 relationship. Once extension per communicator.  If you extension is ringing, then Communicator should be able to make your extension pick up. 

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Mark is correct that RCC is 1:1 with Nortel Converged Office.  RCC is not required though and without it you could use PCA to fork calls to multple extensions including multiple OCS clients.  This is not an elegant solution though since you wouldn't know from the client side if someone picked up the call or if the caller just hung up.  I've heard rumours that the next version of OCS will provide mutiple line presence which would address your requirement but nothing has been announced yet.

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info, but I didn't explain about the situation clearly.

Since each communicator has their own extension no, Call to Main no rings on IP Phone only which has multiple lines including Main no. The call (Call to Main no) doesn't ring on communicator doesn't ring because communicator has only their each DID number.  

I want to know if Nortel PBX can send the call to Main no also which each communicator doesn't have in data in order for the communicator to be able to pick up by PCA or Nortel MARP function.

Otherwise, I'd like to know if it is possible to put multiple numbers by adding ";" (Main No in addition to each communicator extension no) in the "Line URI:" field under Option(Configure button) - communication tab -   User property - select User - Active Directory or in the "Telephone number" field of General tab of  User property - select User - Active Directory then main no also can be mapped to Server URI: is possible or not.

Yoshi

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:04 AM
  •  

I'm not clear on what you mean by "call to Main no also which each communicator doesn't have in data" - please clarify.

On your second part with multiple line URIs, that is multi-line support/presence which, if we keep our fingers crossed, may be in the next version of OCS.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:55 PM
  • Thank you Steven

"call to Main no also which each communicator doesn't have in data" means

Each communicator has only their own DID(Extension number) for example 2222 of 1-506-1111-2222)

to receive calls coming into 2222

The communicator cannot have other no, for example company main no 1000 of 1-506-1111-1000 other than

the above 2222 DID number.

So, as regards the multiple line URIs, do you mean it's impossible?

Yoshi 

Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:01 AM
  •  

I'd bet that with enough money and the OCS and OC APIs that some magic can be done so I'd never say impossible but natively, the OC client cannot be configured with multiple lines.  Go with the 80/20 rule at this point and take take of 80% of the users with the 20% featureset that OCS has now and maybe this scenario will be addressed with OCS 2007 R2 (expected end of this year or early 2009).

On the Nortel side though PCA can simultaneously ring a bunch of other extensions (at least 10 that I know of) so that may be an option for you today.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:51 AM
  • There is an issue again of call from Nortel IP phone to both another IP Phone and OCS client.

Within the log captured in a logfile, it says "504 Server-timeout...."WSACONNREFUSED error   "Received By MCM(Nortel software running on OCS proxy). It seems like the error would be between Mediation Server and MCM"

I appreciate if anybody could let us know the resolution for this issue.

Yoshi

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:23 AM
  •  

I haven't seen that specific message but do ensure that you have the dual forking hotfixes in place in OCS:

from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx :

*** If you are deploying Dual Forking, you must also install the following updates for Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007:

Friday, June 27, 2008 2:56 PM