none
MCTS: Exam 70-511. I have some general questions about this certification exam. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm extremely new to computer programming and am attempting to learn the C# language and eventually prepare for the MCTS 70-511 exam. I've done a bit of reading around the forums to find out what others were doing in order to prepare but I'd like to ask for a little assistance and a more personal response.

I've run into an issue with information overload. There is so much information out there that I'm just utterly confused on where exactly to start.

My goals are to learn how to effectively create windows applications with C# via Visual Studios and to eventually successfully complete the MCTS 70-511 exam. Assuming I know absolutely nothing what products and other sources of information would I find useful in pursuing my goals?

Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would not concentrate on the certification. Concentrate on learninf how to develop software in general.

So I would concentrate on some C# introductions. You are interested in WPF Applications (70-511?) - then you could start at http://windowsclient.net - you will find a lot of resources there.

Once you are comfortable with developing software, you could take the self paced training kit to go through the topics covered by the exam.

In my eyes, a certification like 70-511 does not make sense without any experience / knowledge in software development. But it might be possible to learn stuff by braindumps and even pass the exam - but you will become a running joke when someone sees you with such a certification without the knowledge behind these exams ... (This should not be an offence! It is just my personal view and I live exactly like that - so I delay my exams and concentrate on learning....)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, September 11, 2011 4:16 PM
    Answerer
  • If you really have some time then it is not years. But I would start with no exam as target. The following steps might make sense:

1st: Learn the C# basics. Maybe you have these already.
    2nd: Extend it a little. Build some small and easy databases (e.g. SQL Server Express) together with your application. That way you get some data binding and such things.
    3rd: Read some OOD (object oriented design) books, I would recommend "Object Thinking" of MSPress.
    4th: Get some knowledge about Enterpreise Applications. The book "Architecting Applications for the Enterprise" might be good for that. (Also MS Press)

If certifications might be helpfull, you could do 70-511 after 2nd step. (Just do the self paced training kit then. Follow all the practice things inside and build your own small test applications to play around with the technology!)

And then you might continue with the ADO.Net exam next - to move forward to the MCPD - that could be your target.

But fo rthe WCF exam it might be usefull to know more about enterprise applications. (That helps to understand, why something is build like it was build.)

But that is just a small suggestion. After some basics, you could follow the self paced training kit. Maybe you can even start with the self paced training kit directly and extend it with reading basics that you miss as soon as you find that you lack some knowledge. But that can be quite hard!

One of the best hints is: Just keep contact to the forum. There are some nice c# Forums on MSDN and whenever you are unsure with something or you don't understand something: Just ask. I am quite sure, that you will get a lot of helpfull answers!

Good luck and have much fun playing around with Software Development.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

since you claim that you are new and you do not have any idea on programing i would suggest that you look at

Course 10266A: Programming in C# with Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2010 first and then prepare for the exam 70-511 by follwing Course 10262A:        Developing Windows® Applications with Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2010

Hope the above helps you

Akfash Latibu http://www.akfash.com http://technetbrunei.net/blogs/akfash
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:32 AM
  • From the descriptions I read I don't quite meet the criteria for either of the classes. They're also a little out of my league price wise. I will write this information down for future reference for when I am at the point I can afford them.

Any cheaper suggestions that a complete newbie could benefit from?

Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

I would not concentrate on the certification. Concentrate on learninf how to develop software in general.

So I would concentrate on some C# introductions. You are interested in WPF Applications (70-511?) - then you could start at http://windowsclient.net - you will find a lot of resources there.

Once you are comfortable with developing software, you could take the self paced training kit to go through the topics covered by the exam.

In my eyes, a certification like 70-511 does not make sense without any experience / knowledge in software development. But it might be possible to learn stuff by braindumps and even pass the exam - but you will become a running joke when someone sees you with such a certification without the knowledge behind these exams ... (This should not be an offence! It is just my personal view and I live exactly like that - so I delay my exams and concentrate on learning....)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, September 11, 2011 4:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Konrad I've bookmarked that link and will give it a good look.

My goals are simple.

1) Learn to program with C# in Visual Studios

2) Pass the 70-511 exam and become MCTS certified

What I was hoping for was information that would guide me on the right track. I know it will be many months if not years before I could possibly pass the exam but I do know if I don't set goals I won't succeed! So I'm hoping for anyone with far more experience than me would have pity on me and perhaps help lead me on the right track I'd be greatly appreciative.

• Edited by Disrupta Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:16 PM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:57 PM
  • If you really have some time then it is not years. But I would start with no exam as target. The following steps might make sense:

1st: Learn the C# basics. Maybe you have these already.
    2nd: Extend it a little. Build some small and easy databases (e.g. SQL Server Express) together with your application. That way you get some data binding and such things.
    3rd: Read some OOD (object oriented design) books, I would recommend "Object Thinking" of MSPress.
    4th: Get some knowledge about Enterpreise Applications. The book "Architecting Applications for the Enterprise" might be good for that. (Also MS Press)

If certifications might be helpfull, you could do 70-511 after 2nd step. (Just do the self paced training kit then. Follow all the practice things inside and build your own small test applications to play around with the technology!)

And then you might continue with the ADO.Net exam next - to move forward to the MCPD - that could be your target.

But fo rthe WCF exam it might be usefull to know more about enterprise applications. (That helps to understand, why something is build like it was build.)

But that is just a small suggestion. After some basics, you could follow the self paced training kit. Maybe you can even start with the self paced training kit directly and extend it with reading basics that you miss as soon as you find that you lack some knowledge. But that can be quite hard!

One of the best hints is: Just keep contact to the forum. There are some nice c# Forums on MSDN and whenever you are unsure with something or you don't understand something: Just ask. I am quite sure, that you will get a lot of helpfull answers!

Good luck and have much fun playing around with Software Development.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello to All,

I bought the MCTS Self Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-511): Windows...that i guess is the official book from Msn to study for this exam... and i have a question. Is the universe of questions of the real exam the same as the CD that comes with the book ?

Thanks

Nm

• Edited by _nakedNest Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:29 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:28 PM