Install Applications RRS feed

• Question

• Can i install applications on WHS and access them from the hom enetwork PC's? for example can i install quickbooks on the home server and access the application from my laptop?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 6:13 AM

Answers

• The general answer is "No"; this is also applicable to the broader question "can I install an application once to a network share, and then run it from multiple computers?". There are very few applications that can be installed on a network share and expected to work on any computer that access the share, without also installing the software locally. Most applications require a variety of settings to be properly configured, which is taken care of when you install the software. Without that, the software will usually not run. So in general you can't install once on a network share and expect it to work from every PC. There is an exception to this general rule: programs that can be completely installed by simply copying files from point A to point B can be run from a network share.

Specifically regarding QuickBooks, Intuit does not support QuickBooks on Windows Home Server. So you should not put your QuickBooks database on your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:57 PM
  • ok this might be a dumb question, but can i install the aps on a seprate box with windows vista or windows 7 and do a home networking, where we can use the apps from the box within our home network?, let me know if i need to post this on a different post.

No.  As Ken already said, generally speaking, an app needs to be installed on each computer you want to use it on.  You (typically) can't install an app on computer A and run it from computer B.  What you can do though is install it computer A and (if computer A supports it) use Remote Desktop Connection to connect from computer B to computer A and run the app.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:55 PM

All replies

• Can i install applications on WHS and access them from the hom enetwork PC's? for example can i install quickbooks on the home server and access the application from my laptop?

Installing any app on your server is unsupported (and, in some cases, a violation of the EULA).  I would not recommend it, but you can try it if you want.  Just be warned that you are going outside the scope of WHS and if there are any problems, you're pretty much on your own.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 12:47 PM
  • The general answer is "No"; this is also applicable to the broader question "can I install an application once to a network share, and then run it from multiple computers?". There are very few applications that can be installed on a network share and expected to work on any computer that access the share, without also installing the software locally. Most applications require a variety of settings to be properly configured, which is taken care of when you install the software. Without that, the software will usually not run. So in general you can't install once on a network share and expect it to work from every PC. There is an exception to this general rule: programs that can be completely installed by simply copying files from point A to point B can be run from a network share.

Specifically regarding QuickBooks, Intuit does not support QuickBooks on Windows Home Server. So you should not put your QuickBooks database on your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:57 PM
  • ok this might be a dumb question, but can i install the aps on a seprate box with windows vista or windows 7 and do a home networking, where we can use the apps from the box within our home network?, let me know if i need to post this on a different post.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:42 PM

No.  As Ken already said, generally speaking, an app needs to be installed on each computer you want to use it on.  You (typically) can't install an app on computer A and run it from computer B.  What you can do though is install it computer A and (if computer A supports it) use Remote Desktop Connection to connect from computer B to computer A and run the app.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:55 PM