Searching CRM contacts in Outlook is very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm not an exchange admin or a CRM guru so bear with me, basically we have about 30 Outlook users, 15,000 CRM contacts and a synchronisation process set between Exchange and the Dynamics CRM. Searching CRM contacts in the CRM tab is almost instantaneous but searching for CRM contacts under the Outlook contact search can take up to 3 minutes. Does anyone have any idea on how this can be improved at all?

Thanks,

Bob
    My wife says I never listen to her, or something like that anyway.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

Thanks, the search is taking place in the regular outlook list for synchronised data, surely the synced contact details are held on the exchange server not locally? Basically, when it hangs for the search a white triangle appears over the Outlook icon on the right of the task bar saying "connecting to the exchange server" for 2-3 minutes. I should clarify that this only happens on machines where the users have large contacts lists (5,000).
    Having written all that, this is obviously an Exchange/Outlook problem so I'm in the wrong forum.

Sorry,

Bob.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Are you using cached exchange mode? I've seen it help Outlook performance significantly when you have very large amounts of data to search.

Good luck and it'd be great if you report back what you find from the Exchange/Outlook experts.

Scott.
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by StraNGeLaD Friday, July 3, 2009 2:58 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob -

That's unusual since the outlook and crm clients use essentially the same search - and the database you're describing is not oversized by any means.

Are there other plugins or addins to your Outlook client that might be competing for attention. (I recently ran into performance degradation with the Symantec plugin in Outlook.)

(Not that it should be a specific impact on this behavior, but are you up-to-date with roll-ups / patches on both CRM and Outlook? - there are some nice performance enhancements in the last round of Outlook patches.)

Scott.
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by StraNGeLaD Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:41 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply, that's basically what I thought, as the CRM contacts just sync into the exchange contacts, I just wondered if there was something very odd going on there. We do have another plugin for Meridio (an Autonomy product) which also sits in it's own Outlook tab but it's literally a version management system and so shouldn't be doing anything at the time. We've updated all client side patches, I'll need to check server side but at the moment I'm stumped.

Bob.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:27 PM
  • I may have misunderstood your question earlier - but are you searching for contacts on the CRM contacts tab in outlook (Looks just like the CRM web client embedded inside Outlook) - or are you searching the regular outlook list of contacts for contacts that have been synched from CRM?  - the reason I ask is that the former search takes place on the server (same as web client) -  whereas the latter is actually a local search and heavily reliant on local client resources/memory/indexes/etc.

Either way, give it a shot and see if temporarily uninstalling or disabling the Meridio plugin changes the behavior.  - Then (if the issue is with searching the outlook client contacts) try disabling the CRM client temporarily and re-trying the search.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Thanks, the search is taking place in the regular outlook list for synchronised data, surely the synced contact details are held on the exchange server not locally? Basically, when it hangs for the search a white triangle appears over the Outlook icon on the right of the task bar saying "connecting to the exchange server" for 2-3 minutes. I should clarify that this only happens on machines where the users have large contacts lists (5,000).
    Having written all that, this is obviously an Exchange/Outlook problem so I'm in the wrong forum.

Sorry,

Bob.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Are you using cached exchange mode? I've seen it help Outlook performance significantly when you have very large amounts of data to search.

Good luck and it'd be great if you report back what you find from the Exchange/Outlook experts.

Scott.
    • Marked as answer by StraNGeLaD Friday, July 3, 2009 2:58 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Hi Scott,

The performance picked up significantly when we tried cached exchange mode, the drive needs a good defrag as well but hopefully we can get away with it. Thanks for the pointer.

Bob.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:58 PM